Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 PM
nickpao
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King suspension

I have a 2006 Road King with HD profile lowering suspension and the rides on the back roads of New England are rough. I drove a couple of Heritage Softail's and to me it feels like that suspension handles the back roads beter than my Road King. Has any one switched to progressive suspension for baggers? I was looking at the progressive suspension 440 series for my Road King. I don't mind spending the money to upgrade if the ride on back roads smooth out for my passenger and myself.

- Nick 2006 Road King

Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King suspension

Have you experimented with the air pressure, mine work great!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
2006streetglide2006
Cruiser

I agree with BH....get your air pressure right and it will make a difference. I am 162lbs and run 7lbs.

Jon

Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 PM
nickpao
5th Gear

Just to let all know. With my passenger and I we weigh about 280 pounds. I tried a few different pressures in my air shock. 7, 12 and 20 pounds. The ride for my wife and I was rough on the back roads of New England. I spent a good deal of time online in forums and researching Progressive Suspension shocks. I finally bit the bullet. I called Progressive Suspension and they were great (a lady she also rides). She told me every thing I needed to know about the 440 series shocks. I took a gamble and went for the 440-4049B that are the standard spring rate as apposed to the heavy duty. The heavy duty's are recommended for 225 pounds or more, or with a passenger 50% of the time or more. I went with MAWonline. They were the least expensive and again I got great service.

I received my new shocks tonight and I couldn't wait to install them. The installation was easy and 20 minutes or so. (make sure you use a lift, makes it easier). I adjusted the shocks one turn in towards stiffer. I saddled up my wife and we went for our first ride. ABSOLUTILY amazing. I drove down this road near us that motorcycles usually avoid. I drove down this road at about 15 MPH. I couldn't believe it. So smooth. I turned around and drove about 35 MPH, still smooth. (maybe smoother, shocks seem to work better at 30 MPH or faster). I was worried I would bottom out due to getting the standard shocks, but not yet. I have a long ride planned this weekend that will be the test. I also haven't truly tested the handling. The Road King with the air shocks handled like a dream I hope I didn't sacrifice that. More driving will tell for sure.

If my results continue like this I wonder why Harley doesn't use these shocks by Progressive Suspension.

Nick