Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Painted Inner Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A must

Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
HD air deflectors? So any fairing will work on my 06 I just need to drill a hole for the cables? What other differences are there?
None. You'll need to buy a rubber grommet for the new hole. The rubber gaskets (one per side) around the edges should be removed for painting the inner, so new gaskets are a good idea.

If the inner fairing you buy doesn't have the holes for the fairing mounted mirrors, you will need the template for drilling the holes to install the fairing mounted mirrors if you intend to retain them.

Many of the pictures of painted inner fairings posted on HDF use a chrome trim piece over the bezel around the idiot lights. I don't know if the piece is painted to match or not. If you want it painted, be sure to give it to the painter along with the inner fairing and fairing cap.

Carl

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
None. You'll need to buy a rubber grommet for the new hole. The rubber gaskets (one per side) around the edges should be removed for painting the inner, so new gaskets are a good idea.

If the inner fairing you buy doesn't have the holes for the fairing mounted mirrors, you will need the template for drilling the holes to install the fairing mounted mirrors if you intend to retain them.

Many of the pictures of painted inner fairings posted on HDF use a chrome trim piece over the bezel around the idiot lights. I don't know if the piece is painted to match or not. If you want it painted, be sure to give it to the painter along with the inner fairing and fairing cap.

Carl
I reused my rubber grommets and used silicon adheasie on the outside molding seems to be ok so far.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a stock painted inner fairing now but it has the holes for the mirrors. I have bar mounted mirrirs now so I want a fairing without the holes. The painter where I am taking my parts is using a different black. So he is going to do the inner (once I find one) and the outer fairing and windshield all at the same time.

Thanks for the info guys

Old 01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to bring up an old thread, but are you guys who are using local shops to shoot the paint having them just shoot the paint or are these prices include a prep and primer? I was quoted $150 for everything needed. Was thinking of doing it myself (yes I have painted many cars and bikes in the past and know how to shoot), but $150 seems pretty cheap to resist. especially after buying paint.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the many great improvements over a stock bike. DO IT
Before

After

My buddies I did

Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I painted my own gloss black three years ago with of all things Krylon fusion paint for plastic. Looks great and cost me a grand total of under $20. Only took a few hours to disassemble paint and reinstall.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Painted Inner Fairing-222.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
Not to bring up an old thread, but are you guys who are using local shops to shoot the paint having them just shoot the paint or are these prices include a prep and primer? I was quoted $150 for everything needed. Was thinking of doing it myself (yes I have painted many cars and bikes in the past and know how to shoot), but $150 seems pretty cheap to resist. especially after buying paint.
My local painter. did everything for $100.00. So $150.00 isn't to bad

Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$100-$150 for that job is a great price...more work than you may think to paint it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I have also painted several cars and countless parts. I think 150 is a pretty good price if the quality is there. I wouldn't want to spend 150 bucks then have to spend the weekend color sanding and compounding to get it right.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Painted Inner Fairing