Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow by setups..... Pics please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010 | 03:53 PM
Road Warrior

I just installed the Golan catch-can on mine, but I am not so sure it is going to very effective if you have a lot of blow-by. This thing is rather small...like 2.5 inches long and around 1-1/4 inches in diameter. It makes a very nice and neat installation and can be hidden behind your breather cover, but it looks too nice and cost too much to hide.

I do not have a real blow-by issue except on those very long trips on those hot 400/500-mile days. I tried a filter underneath, but all it did was saturate and drip.

I plan to try this attractive billet Golan catch-can and empty it as often as necessary...which will be OFTEN on the long hot runs.

Has anyone out there used this Golan product? I know dawg mentioned it above, but did not make any remarks concerning how effective it may be.

Old 11-21-2010 | 05:20 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

My setup is very similar to Steve's:

Simple, effective, and works like a charm.

:cheers:

Old 11-21-2010 | 06:18 PM
Road Warrior

Okay guys....lets go out into left field here. All of us have our little "quirks" and my main quirk is hoses running all over the place flopping in the breeze. Don't get me wrong....all you guys have figured out how to vent this stuff and I am not making fun of anybody's arrangement.....we do what we do to our Harley's.

The primary case is un-vented, but actually vents through the main shaft into the transmission through the hollow along the clutch pushrod. The transmission then vents to the atmosphere. The pressure at the head breather is positive and it does not draw air back into the ports on the heads. So...if you can find some place to dump the blow-by mist....how about INTO the primary case.

Yes...I know there could be a small amount of engine oil dumped into the primary, but many folks are already running engine oil anyway and I doubt there would be enough blow-by oil dumped in there to really make a difference between changes. I know there can be a small hole drilled-n-tapped in the inner primary cover to accept an NPT fitting. I have actually added fill plugs on some of the EVO bikes for people that got tired of fooling with removing the derby cover at fluid changes.

I know it sounds like overkill, but if it seems possible, it would eliminate the dripping filters and the bike "marking" it's spot on the carport floor.

Okay folks.....fire away at this idea.

Old 11-21-2010 | 09:20 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Okay guys....lets go out into left field here. All of us have our little "quirks" and my main quirk is hoses running all over the place flopping in the breeze. Don't get me wrong....all you guys have figured out how to vent this stuff and I am not making fun of anybody's arrangement.....we do what we do to our Harley's.

The primary case is un-vented, but actually vents through the main shaft into the transmission through the hollow along the clutch pushrod. The transmission then vents to the atmosphere. The pressure at the head breather is positive and it does not draw air back into the ports on the heads. So...if you can find some place to dump the blow-by mist....how about INTO the primary case.

Yes...I know there could be a small amount of engine oil dumped into the primary, but many folks are already running engine oil anyway and I doubt there would be enough blow-by oil dumped in there to really make a difference between changes. I know there can be a small hole drilled-n-tapped in the inner primary cover to accept an NPT fitting. I have actually added fill plugs on some of the EVO bikes for people that got tired of fooling with removing the derby cover at fluid changes.

I know it sounds like overkill, but if it seems possible, it would eliminate the dripping filters and the bike "marking" it's spot on the carport floor.

Okay folks.....fire away at this idea.

On a cold day the majority of blow by is water vapor. I fashioned a catch can for my Doherty power vents and very little oil after a hard run but plenty of water after riding in the cold.

Old 11-21-2010 | 09:44 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Someone posted this and I downloaded it for future reference. The first pict is the mod and the second pict is the latest model back plate. I am going to give this a try in the spring.

Pict of the back plate mod

Latest model back plate

Old 11-22-2010 | 06:13 AM
Road Warrior

Water vapor would certainly be a consideration and one would not want to dump any serious amount of it into the primary. I think the heat generated within the primary would dissipate it through normal venting through the main shaft...to the tranny and out the tranny breather.

I need to run mine with this expensive little catch can I have on there now to see what I catch I guess. I am also thinking the blow-by line could be connected to the tranny top cover at the connection where it's vent-line terminates. The tranny just vents to the atmosphere through the top cover and as it sits over time, condensation also builds-up in the transmission anyway and is then dissipated by the heat generated within the transmission when things warm up in there.

I have a buddies bike in my shop now and he wants me to fix his blow-by while I have it. I may try this on his ride to see how it works before I try it on mine (LOL).

You know....some people are reading all this laughing at the ones that have blow-by issues, because they don't have any. I know my oil pump is aligned...I have made the latest suggested upgrades to my breather valves and I run the oil level 1/2 quart low...and still have the blow-by. I am not going to tear my engine down and replace valve guides, or overhaul the top-end to try and tighten all that up on the hunch it may help. I have had 15-or-so Harleys over the past 20-25 years, both EVO and TC. Some had blow-by issues and some did not. Some of us are just stuck with it and we have to deal with the issue.

Last edited by 0734; 11-22-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:29 AM
Road Warrior

I am going to attach a few pictures of the Golan catch-can. It's a good looking chrome-plated billet piece with a sponge inside and breather holes in the top of the lid. It is simply un-screwed and emptied. It makes for a very good looking installation, but I have my doubts that it would control a serious blow-by issue. On the very hot long mileage days, I could see emptying this about ever-other fuel stop, but at least daily. If it fills up...the waste will simply come out the top vent holes like it will a small filter mounted the same way.

As you can see, I have the SE Stage II breather system with the cross-over vent tube.
$42.00 a copy for this catch-can.

Just to make us more comfortable....the metric guys have blow-by issues too. Some of them simply run the crap over and let it drip on their chain. That method doesn't exactly work for us belt-driven guys.

Attached Thumbnails Blow by setups..... Pics please.-se-ii-breather.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-cover-removed.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-golan-catch-can.jpg  

Last edited by 0734; 11-22-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:41 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I know my primary generally would not get hot enough to burn it off. Also the combustion process does some pretty nasty things. what until you actaully see the byproduct in yur catch can. YOu would not want that going anywhere lol.

Old 11-22-2010 | 12:01 PM
Road Warrior

I understand. I usually don't have to look in a catch-can...I can see it on the bike and my wife's shoes. Really....mine is not noticeable as I move around on short trips and nothing like some of the other guys seem to have. I just have issues with it on those long hot rides back home across Texas in the 90+ heat at high cruising speeds and I always change the fluids right after a long trip anyway. For a guy that rides often and makes a lot of short trips....probably not a great idea.

The primary is one of the filthiest fluids you will drain out anyway and on a long trip...it will get very hot too. I'm tempted to try it just for giggles.

Old 11-22-2010 | 12:51 PM
KauaiJim
4th Gear

If you plan on dumping into the primary, I would hope that you also plan using engine oil as your primary fluid because regular chaincase oil has no additives to handle products of combustion like motor oil does. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Blow by setups..... Pics please.