Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow by setups..... Pics please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010 | 12:14 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know. Depends on the bike. Hopefully one would find a better solution for mounting the canister than Harley Davidson did with the California mandated evap canisters...

I'm going to run my bike with the breathers venting in to the intake for now. I've eliminated excessive oil coming out of the breathers by having my oil level at 1/2 full. Seems to work fine, even when beating on my bike at high rpm.

If/when I do the motor, I'll probably vent to atmosphere with a catch can. For now, it will stay the way it is.

Old 04-04-2010 | 12:39 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer

I just finished rerouting my breathers last week. Wasnt crazy about the Doherty style, as I would think oil would eventually drip on the crankcase. Wasn't crazy about running an a tube all the way back down under the trans and dumping oil on the ground.

I decided to try something somewhat unconventional. This design is very similiar to the Doherty style, however the positioning of the filter is such that it dangles in an area where, if it does drip oil, it is most likely will not end up on the bike. Also, I can monitor the filter and twist it around as the bottom starts to get saturated.

Not to mention, I think it looks pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails Blow by setups..... Pics please.-dscn1235.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-dscn1236.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-dscn1237.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-dscn1238.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010 | 01:15 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

great ideas, nice work ultra, I have the powerpacc on my bike now and found out that it likes having the oil level half way on the dipstick to reduce blowby.

Last edited by leohd; 04-04-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2010 | 07:51 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

Here's my set up. It's a little different.
Using Evo style cross over w/early 90's era Evo (FXR parts catalog)
I created a down draft tube also using a GM pre formed rubber PCV
hose (mid 90's Camaro V6)

Yes, I know my bike is VERY dirty.

Attached Thumbnails Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0255.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0254.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0253.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0250.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0249.jpg  

Old 04-04-2010 | 08:02 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

A couple more.
I am going to put one of those little filters on the end
though. I've found, moisture likes to find its way up that line
and mix with the residual (spl/chk) oil mist in there and sludge
up a little. Nothing gets in the motor, once in awhile I do get
a drop of oil on the ground (memories of the Shovelhead
days (markin the spot)

Attached Thumbnails Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0245.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0246.jpg   Blow by setups..... Pics please.-hpim0252.jpg  
Old 04-10-2010 | 08:12 PM
jimez97
Stage II
Default ROAD KING blow by

Originally Posted by Road King Kid
I just finished rerouting my breathers last week. Wasnt crazy about the Doherty style, as I would think oil would eventually drip on the crankcase. Wasn't crazy about running an a tube all the way back down under the trans and dumping oil on the ground.

I decided to try something somewhat unconventional. This design is very similiar to the Doherty style, however the positioning of the filter is such that it dangles in an area where, if it does drip oil, it is most likely will not end up on the bike. Also, I can monitor the filter and twist it around as the bottom starts to get saturated.

Not to mention, I think it looks pretty cool.
I'm new to the sight, and have this problem with my bike it seems to foul my plugs and jack up my filter and as you know oil up my air filter! since I am new it does not let me view your pics can you e-mail me these by chance? if so great if not no problem I am going to come up with something myself, had enough of this problem thanks....
Another Harley Rider, Jim E. jimez73@aol.com

Old 06-01-2010 | 04:22 PM
wink2206
Novice
Talking Totally Hidden

Here is how I did mine. It is totally under my K&N, and with the size of the "T" fitting, the oil should atomize well. $2 and 10 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails Blow by setups..... Pics please.-topkill.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010 | 12:56 PM
phattey
Cruiser
Red face

I think I've just about built up the courage to do this. I've been asking around and accumulating some hardware and spoke to a friend who has all the tools for drilling; tapping; sealing; clamping; etc...

My 2009 FLHX has the TBW module in the way, so I'll have to angle that rear fitting a little differently.

Not sure where I want to vent it either - filter, underframe, or catchcan. I just want it away from my TB. My bike has crazy carry over...

One thing that keeps stumping me though..the breather chamber that attaches to the head has that hollow bolt in it thus I'll have to be carefull not to twist in the fitting too far or the bolt wont go back in. Has anyone cut and filed your fitting(s) so it only has a few threads opposed to like 8 or 10..?? Or does it really matter as long as the fitting doesnt interfer with the bolt..?

Did I even make any sense..?

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:18 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer

Originally Posted by phattey
I think I've just about built up the courage to do this. I've been asking around and accumulating some hardware and spoke to a friend who has all the tools for drilling; tapping; sealing; clamping; etc...

My 2009 FLHX has the TBW module in the way, so I'll have to angle that rear fitting a little differently.

Not sure where I want to vent it either - filter, underframe, or catchcan. I just want it away from my TB. My bike has crazy carry over...

One thing that keeps stumping me though..the breather chamber that attaches to the head has that hollow bolt in it thus I'll have to be carefull not to twist in the fitting too far or the bolt wont go back in. Has anyone cut and filed your fitting(s) so it only has a few threads opposed to like 8 or 10..?? Or does it really matter as long as the fitting doesnt interfer with the bolt..?

Did I even make any sense..?
Not sure what exactly it is that you are asking, but I do have some advice. I would definately buy a catch can and/or run the vent under the frame. I have a filter that sits over the top of the trans (see pics above). Worked great until it got semi saturated. Now, on hot days, I have to wipe oil off of my trans cover and starter. Not too mention that it freaks me out to see condensation emitting from the thing when sitting in traffic. Only on very hot days. I will be rerouting mine as soon as I buy a catch can.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:42 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

You got that right RKK, those filters just get saturated and drip on what ever is underneath. I routed my lines down and under the right floorboard pointed away from rear tire. I am looking for a sano catch can to mount somewhere and haven't found one yet, I have seen some online that look OK but I'm not gonna keep buyin cans online till one works right, so the search continues.

Quick Reply: Blow by setups..... Pics please.