Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow by setups..... Pics please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009 | 07:36 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Not that much oil comes out to make that big of a mess. Every once in a while I just take a rag and wipe it clean.

Steve

Old 11-16-2009 | 08:54 AM
UltraKla$$ic
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the pics and feedback! As for the mess, the filter(if I go this route) is washable like the K&N air filters so if the blow by filter starts showing signs of saturation, easily remove it, clean and replace. The benefit of venting to atmosphere far outweigh the miniscual cleaning. Venting back to throttle body = bubble gum to motor.

Old 11-17-2009 | 05:28 PM
UltraKla$$ic
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I got around to doing my blow-by setup. I appreciate all the feedback and pics. I decided to go with something that wouldn't show unless you were looking for it but it still provides ease of maintenance, cleaning, and reinstalling. The maintenance on this setup is no more involved than cleaning the air filter. Matter of fact, it will get cleaned simultaneously for continuity. The end result will be a cleaner burn as the oil mist will be routed to atmosphere vs. straight down the throttle body where it can gum up the components and junk.

In keeping with the theme of my bike I used black and chrome hardware.

Pic 1 is the where it all started.

3/8' fuel line.........black of course.

Tools and parts used. I didn't use the small hose clamps as I didn't need them

Backside of the Right PowerPACC vent........illustrating the incognito clamp. That bump will face toward the motor out of sight.

Like this............this is how it will be displayed.

Easily slid into place making for easy access and cleanup

Different angle

Can't even see it!!

I think I see it back there somewhere.....LOL!!

DONE!! HOLLA!!

I see you hiding back there!!

Total cost of project including filter..................$10

Old 11-17-2009 | 05:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks great Darren, didn't know a smartass could do such good work

Old 11-17-2009 | 05:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Vac u pan

This is way I would do it if I was starting from scratch. Don't have pics but you run that hose that you were going to hook up to the filter but intsead run it to a one way valve that is welded into the header collector just after the merge at a 45 degree angle to the flow. Helps pull crankcase pressure out of the case to help seal the rings at higher rpms. Although I have never tried this on a dry sump style motor , others may comment on effectiveness on this application.

Old 11-17-2009 | 06:00 PM
UltraKla$$ic
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Looks great Darren, didn't know a smartass could do such good work
Gee thanks............................................ .I think.

LOL!!!!

Old 11-17-2009 | 06:16 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I would not re-route the crankcase vent to the atmosphere unless you are getting a lot of oil dripping or spraying from the air cleaner. The vacumn created by the intake helps evacuate the crankcase far better than just venting to the atmosphere. That little bit of oil that goes back into the intake won't hurt anything and may actually help by putting a little bit of oil back on the valve stem. If you are worried about the oil gumming up the intake (which usually is not a problem in most cases) then shoot a little carb spray in there occassionally. Just make sure you use plenty of rags or towels around the engine so the chemical does not eat away at the engine paint if some drips out.

The bikes I have seen with small filters on vent hoses tend to have oil dripping off of it and has an oily looking frame underneath if routed that way.

Old 11-17-2009 | 09:32 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Let us know Darren! I know I've been getting some blow by too, but I think I may have overfilled the oil when I changed it before my ride this past weekend. Ugh.. my guess is that is what has created the noticable difference. Put over 1000 miles between Sat and Sun, so figured I would just change the oil again and recheck the levels...

I do like your set up though! Nice work!

Old 11-18-2009 | 07:19 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

UltraK....Nice work.Great pics!!!! Thanks R.W.

Old 12-05-2009 | 03:20 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Finally got a picture of behind my Doherty backing plate showing the vent hoses going to the "T" and the hose going between the cylinders.

Then in this picture you can kinda see the hose going behind the shifter linkage -

Then I have it zip tied to the frame under the primary.

Steve

Quick Reply: Blow by setups..... Pics please.