Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 rear suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 AM
ledfan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 rear suspension problems

My 09 RK rear suspension just sucks, the originals air shocks, 08 standard air shocks, low suspension hd shocks, and now progressive 440 shocks. I've tried all of these they are ok if i'm riding on completely smooth road, throw a bump or crack in the mix and it feels as if I'm on rigid frame with no rubber on the rim. Looking for a fix, My dealer says try legend shocks, $1700 is a bit much I think to get a good ride that should of came with the bike in the first place. anyone find a fix that can help? thx

Old 11-15-2009, 11:21 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Try a set of Ohlins made for you. Contact Howard at Motorcycle Metal (Fastharley here on the forum).

Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ledfan
My 09 RK rear suspension just sucks, the originals air shocks, 08 standard air shocks, low suspension hd shocks, and now progressive 440 shocks. I've tried all of these they are ok if i'm riding on completely smooth road, throw a bump or crack in the mix and it feels as if I'm on rigid frame with no rubber on the rim. Looking for a fix, My dealer says try legend shocks, $1700 is a bit much I think to get a good ride that should of came with the bike in the first place. anyone find a fix that can help? thx
How much air pressure are you running?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Single or double riding? Big differance in air pressure!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM
princeaz
Cruiser
Location: Payson, AZ within 400 miles of the best the west has to offer for riders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the left shock on my 17k mileage 08 E-glide start leaking awhile back. I found a suitable replacement in a progressive #416 shock at J&P at about $400 for the pair.
The reason I like air shocks are the infinite adjustability via the air pressure.
The most important aspect of tuning a shock is setting the sag. If it is done correctly, you will get the best performance, even Ohlins need this. Do not skip this step!
BTW, the ride has been significantly improved over stock for only a few dollars over the cost of a stock replacement. The Showa's on HD's are there to keep the rear wheel from resting on the fender. Unless you are a racer, you will never see the benefits of Ohlins.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:14 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ledfan
As stated many times prior this is what contained in your air shocks. Air Bags are even worse from a control situation. Any one can settle if they do not know any better. This is what you get for a $12 bill if you are Harley. Nothing more than a spring on a stick with a slow-er-down-er. A cylinder with a solid piston with a single hole for either expelling or sucking oil. Air bags have the same system. A cheap damper and either an air controlled spring pre-load or a air bag that is filled up like a tire. These are horribly painful rides to be had with either. There are many posts on this subject and only one real solution so read all of this great information contained on this HDF site!

You can read about all of the different shocks here

Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Stock shocking system sucks

Gotta ask yourself: If I am the only one bitterly complaining about my ride quality....no matter what shocks I use, there must be something else causing the poor ride quality.....or I am expecting much more than the suspension system can afford.
Have you rideen another bagger that rides much better?
Bob

Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, how much air are you running in your shocks? I run 15 when single, and 25-30 2 up. Always had a smooth ride, and they are the orginal 08 shocks.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Gotta ask yourself: If I am the only one bitterly complaining about my ride quality....no matter what shocks I use, there must be something else causing the poor ride quality.....or I am expecting much more than the suspension system can afford.
Have you rideen another bagger that rides much better?
Bob
Not to pile on here, but I was thinking the same thing.

I just replaced my stock shocks with Progressive 440s. While the ride is much better, it is still a Harley bagger kind of ride -- not a Cadillac kind of ride.

I also looked at Ohlins but cannot imagine they could possibly make that much of a difference on a Harley bagger.

I think at some point, it just is what it is.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:57 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, what is the load the bike is carrying? How much does the rider weigh?????? A 160 lb rider will experience a very different ride than a 320 lb rider. Add a passenger (how much do THEY weigh?) and it is a whole different ball game.
I am 190 lbs, and ride solo at 30 lbs and have a wonderful ride. When I load up the bags for a trip I boost the air to 35 lbs and all is hunky-dory! Couldn't ask for better.

Quick Reply: 09 rear suspension problems