Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra -installed detach kit for tour pak - radio does not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultra -installed detach kit for tour pak - radio does not work

for those experts here who have done this....please HELP!!!!

I have an 05 ultra - installed detach kit for tour pak -used deutch connectors for all 3 connections coming from tour pak - hooked up battery - turned ignition switch on - all lights and turn signals work....tour pak is off!

Put tour pak on - plug in all three plugs - turned switch on - all lights and turn signals work on tour pak and bike....

took tour pak off - neatly rolled up CB and radio antennas up by battery - put seat on - lowered bike off stand - ready for a ride....

i do plan to have a radio antenna - but for now i will listen to CD's, and up to now in my assembly process, I have not turned on my radio....

All excited about my fist ride with no tour pak....get on bike, start-up, turn the radio on to put a CD in....radio does not work.

I have spent the last 3 hours checking fuses (all good), removed front faring to ensure radio is getting power (yes it is)....cannot find anything wrong....

I am thinking i am missing a ground on the bike that i had in the tour pak with the radio antenna....but not sure.

OK guru's....tell me what is wrong!!!

buy the way - took the bike out - runs great - everything else electrical works....I HAVE NO BLOWN FUSES!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:33 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 04 classic with quick disconnect and remove tour pak often, I only have one cable to disconnect which I roll up and tie under seat. I have a remote antenna hook-up but seldom use it. I never have a problem with CD playing. On my classic the radio functions are controlled by handlebar switch. Are you sure the CD function has been selected? Just offering a suggestion.....

Old 11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

a classic only has one connection, an ultra has that one, plus two more....one for each speaker control on the tour pak. Can't install a CD becasue radio will not power up!

thanks for the suggestion....keep more coming....someone has had this problem.

I really think this is a radio grounding issue...maybe not. Got tired of messing with it today!

Last edited by soon to be; 11-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for my ignorance, I am inclined to agree with you, sounds like a ground issue, good luck let us know what you find out

Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You loose the ground with a quick release setup. If you look at all of the mounting points on the quick release bracket, you see they're plastic. You will need to run a separate ground wire with a plug in connector. It been a while since I had my Ultra but if you notice, the antenna cable has an eylet with one of the mounting bolts going through it. That's where the ground wire should be attached.

Last edited by shortride; 11-14-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ultra already has factory connectors for unhooking the speakers. They are usually hidden inside the rear speaker pods. Just pull the wire bundle out of the pod carefully. The other connections for the tour pak can just be unplugged or unscrewed once you lift the tour pak liner out. They are for the radio, the CB, and the tour pak lights. Takes me less than 10 minutes to switch out, and I didn't have to install any extra connectors.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 AM
soon to be
Road Captain

bump to the top for this mornings crowd.........tell me you've had this problem and what you did to fix it...........

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 08 and had 99, both Ultras with a QR TP setup, and no extra ground is needed for either bike. I just unplug everything roll the wires under the solo seat and ride. I use Sirius Sat radio and it plays fine through the FM or direct connect Aux plug. I just went out to try it through the FM and it works like it should.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 AM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jsimo7
I have a 08 and had 99, both Ultras with a QR TP setup, and no extra ground is needed for either bike. I just unplug everything roll the wires under the solo seat and ride. I use Sirius Sat radio and it plays fine through the FM or direct connect Aux plug. I just went out to try it through the FM and it works like it should.
do you have an antenna hooked up?

right now i do not!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Radio Sound supplied the radios to HD on your bike. Their customer service no. is 502 267-6768. They're very good about providing telephone advice with issues like this.

Quick Reply: Ultra -installed detach kit for tour pak - radio does not work