Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Switch from Softail Classic to Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Switch from Softail Classic to Ultra Limited

I just sold my 2003 Heritage Softail Classic and would like to move to an Ultra Limited now that my new wife likes to ride. I am a bit concerned with the added weight (about 150 lbs) and the 2-inch taller seat (I'm only 5'9"). Has anyone made such a switch and if so, what has been your experience? Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I went from a Fatboy to an Ultra and had no trouble with the weight, took me a few days to really start to get used to it, just like switching to any other bike. The height wasn't an issue for me but I'm sure you could have it lowered at the shocks and by changing seats.

The following users liked this post:
natedogg78 (12-30-2019)
Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think my biggest thing was getting used to the rear floor boards hitting me in the
back of my legs

Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

I am 5'9" as well and moved up to the Ultra from a VTX and I ended up putting a Sundowner on mine to help me flat foot it. Really a well balanced bike, I have not noticed the additional weight.

The following users liked this post:
natedogg78 (12-30-2019)
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

The touring bikes are so well balanced that I think they are the easiest in the Harley line to ride day in and day out with nice weather protection and enough creeature comforts to make long days a non issue. That said, the extra weight is a factor to be aware of and you realy have to keep your feet ON THE BOARDS when your moving (at all) or you will hit the rear boards.

Of course putting your feet down when your moving is a really bad habit that a lot of riders suffer from, but you only have to hit that rear passenger board the right way one time and you'll learn quick to not do that again.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
envexed
Cruiser

I'm 5'8" myself and I jsut purchased a Limited, traded in an 07 Ultra. I went from a Honda Shadow to that 07......the weight will be no problem at all, as a matter of fact you will find out that the bike will be easier to handle, that's right easier. I was shocked at how much better the handling is on such a big full dress bike. The 2010 Limited I just got last week is a dream on winding roads and with 2 up it has plenty of power for the both of us. Also I love the deep tone of the exhaust , even though it has a CAT I will leave it stock and love it.
The bike is higher that the 07 I traded and I can only flat foot it standing up on it and just barely, tip tow at stop lights unless it leans just slight to the left as I use my left foot and keep my right on the brake. I tried the reach seat and it moved me forward as well as , I didn't like it and kept it stock (have 510 miles on it now) If the height is a problem you could get the lowering rear shocks and the front fork loweing spring kit to lower the bike a tad bit. ( I thought about doing that and got jsut over a $800 estimate)
After riding the bike the last two days I found that the bike handles soooo much better than my 07 in the twisting corners that I tend to let it lean much more and now I am thinking I need to keep it high, just in case I try to lean it too far like a sport bike.
I suggest you ride it first , you will be amazed , and once again the weight is not a problem in the least !

Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went from an '08 Heritage Softail Classic to the Limited.
Our observations:
1.The ride and handling are much better - I do not nearly drag the floorboards as often as with the Heritage in tight curves.
2.The bike is heavier and will be noticed especially when backing it up.
3.You sit higher in the saddle and your wife's eye level will be closer to the same level as yours.
4.It is harder to keep balanced when coming to a stop due to the higher center of gravity - particularly with crested roads - we went down twice and it was a bitch to pick up.
5.Get yourself a lower seat or boots with thick soles to be able to flat-foot.
6.The seats have been cheapened and are literally a pain-in-the *** when travelling any distance (see Allen's MCC comments).

We have about 4500 miles on it now. I plan to change seats or get the seat modified by MCC.
We love it!

Last edited by DukeofEarl; 11-14-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
I(I'm only 5'9")
I am 5'6" and have been on a bagger since 04 - stock shocks.. Corbin Custom seat, Redwing shoes.. I am doing just fine..

I would love to have those extra inches.. You will learn - best thing is Seat, Shoes and bars...

Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sundowner seat will set you a little lower and be more comfortable. As stated the floorboards hitting you in the calves is the biggest obstacle to overcome. Overall I think you you'll be happier with both of your new rides if you know what I mean.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Jtsantes
Cruiser

Thanks. I can't find any info on the Sundowner seat height. Do you know how much lower it is?

Quick Reply: A Switch from Softail Classic to Ultra Limited