Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Switch from Softail Classic to Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

When you get on the new bike and straighten it up you will notice a big difference in weight. After that you're going to love it.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:45 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with the rear footboards. Also gotta figure out how to get on and off the darned thing! For a quick scoot around town I still love my Fatboy but for the long haul the Ultra's great!

The following users liked this post:
natedogg78 (12-30-2019)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess you can always replace the rear floorboards with pegs if it becomes a real problem. Perhaps not the greatest thing for passenger, but it beats the alternative.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM
newbietroller
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default switch

You'll love the ultra. Just take your time, and try to get some solo time with it before you ride two up. Always wear hard sole shoes, and take your time. Backing up is not that big of an issue. You will hit the rear footboards, but just take smaller steps and take your time.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I came from a Vulcan 900 to the 2009 Ultra. I am the same height as you; I had MCC do the seat for me; worked fine (interesting though; the 2010 seat is a bit lower or more narrow than my ’09, I fit better on that and I wouldn't have needed the MCC mod). Most of the posts here already hit the major items such as backing up and the overall weight but you should also purchase "Ride Like a Pro" www.ridelikeapro.com to help your riding if you have issues with low speed riding such as U-turns and tight maneuvers. I dropped mine once in a parking lot; once I watched the video and practiced the lessons I haven’t had a problem again. You will LOVE the Ultra.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I came from a Dyna wide glide to an 09 Classic. I'm an inche taller than you. The big difference for me was getting used to the extra weight when turning around in a parking lot and backing up with two up. If I were you I would buy the bike and ride it some before I do anything to it. I put lowering blocks on mine I bought from Road 6 Customs on Ebay. I also bought a Mustang seat that let's me sit lower and gives me more support in the hips. After I rode for awhile and got used to it, I took the lowering blocks off. The touring ultra and classic are really nice handling bikes. I'm sure you will love the 2010 Limited. I was down at the Dealer today drooling over one!!! Ride Safe

Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Steves05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will love all the new creature comforts, guages, storage, radio ect. It will take extra time to get used to, so, as has been mentioned, solo time. I say plenty of it. Get really comfortable with it before you two up.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
I just sold my 2003 Heritage Softail Classic and would like to move to an Ultra Limited now that my new wife likes to ride. I am a bit concerned with the added weight (about 150 lbs) and the 2-inch taller seat (I'm only 5'9"). Has anyone made such a switch and if so, what has been your experience? Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks
went from a 457 lbs honda to the ultra, not an issue at all

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Your going to think you died and went to heaven. As to your leg reach, after getting the bike, give the guys at Mean City Cycles a call. They can open up your seat and trim a inch off the 09 seats. Might think about having memory foam put into it when its there.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went from a 07 flstc to the eg classic. nicer on the long trips, not as much work in town as my 1800vtxr was. Hey, bottom line, if you lay any of the big bikes down, going to be a job getting them back up. Don and Pam

Quick Reply: A Switch from Softail Classic to Ultra Limited