Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king or Street glide, which would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:02 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

I made my own street king with a Woody's fairing. Four speakers and two tweeters vs the two speakers on a Street Glide. I can drown out my buddy's SG music :-)

Like the others said though, ride both and you will know.

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:29 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

Ride them both and see. I had my heart set on a Street Glide and my wife wanted the Heritage to the point that I did not think we would be able to agree. We went and did the demo ride thing and rode the Street Glide first.. I really liked it a lot. We then rode the Heritage whiched to both of us, seemed to ride nicer. For craps and giggles (no interest in one), we decided to hop on the Road King since it was sitting there with no one on it and take it for a ride. We freakin LOVED IT! Hands down, without questions was by far the smoothest riding of the three in our opinion. Others may have preferences other than ours, and so may you so you really need to try them all before committing to spend 20G's.
Our 2010 Road King will be here in Feb..

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:43 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Before the street glide came out and batwings became fashionable the Road King was THE bike to have and for good reason. Great bike in every way.
Every other post on here was about Road kings. Imagine doing a word replacement today for the word Street Glide with the word Road King and you'll get what I mean. It was that bad!

That said, I somehow got rid of all my batwing-less bikes and now all my bikes have fairings.
At the moment I have 2 Street Glides and an Ultra. Now...a little bored with them and would love to have a Road King.

Think it would be cool to just have that large Road King windshield and nothing else in front of me. You know, mix things up.
I get tired of the fairing every now and then.

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2009 | 10:18 AM
sgnden
Road Master

I had an '07 SG and it was a very nice bike. As others have said, it is lowered in the rear and of course you have the batwing fairing. I loved it for solo riding.

For two-up, long distance, my '09 RK is much preferred. If you put a more passenger-friendly seat on the SG, it's great. But for my money, I like the ability to ride in the wind on the RK (fairing off) during the Summer or quickly put the shield on and go for a four day-er with my lady on the back and piled with gear (the bike, that is). ;^)

Just ride em both and decide. Of course, a search would give you a s*#t-load of opinions to this very common question. I sure know that when I first bought my '07 SG (New England at the time) I felt like it was pretty unique...today I feel like every other bike is now a SG (Denver area now)

Only YOU will know. But if you are drawn to the SG and plan to ride 2-up a lot...have an extra seat to keep her happy...which is not a bad idea.

Have fun...

Old 11-15-2009 | 10:22 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Test Drive...Test Drive...Test Drive...

But for the long haul, the SG fairing is the way to go...Air can be put in the shocks to smooth the ride....and any seat that fits a RK will fit an SG..........An SG looks normal with a tourpak and lowers.........a chopped windshield is a 2 minute job on an SG for that "in the wind" feel......Extended bags look great on an SG

Old 11-15-2009 | 10:40 AM
flexman49
Stage III

you sould take a look at the new 2010 roadglide had a 2007 roadking beat me up on long trips 400miles one way this sit lower then st. put some one in back 210 lb you do not know they are there i got red love it

Old 11-15-2009 | 12:17 PM
Ronbaci
Cruiser

A lot of the guys I know with Road Kings end up putting fairings and speakers on them anyway ($3000+). Might as well start out with the Street Glide and just change out the seat for two up ($250+). Your choice.

Old 11-15-2009 | 02:03 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd buy the Ultra

Old 11-15-2009 | 02:36 PM
monstead
Club Member
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

I ride an 09 RKC, but after renting an 09 SG, I started second guessing my RK purchase - I fell in love with having music and the better (to me) bike handling in wind due to the fairing. As far as bike handling (cornering, suspension, balance, center of gravity), I personally didn't notice much difference. Probably because both bikes have the same frame and my RK is lowered.

I took care of my "buyers remorse" by getting a removable fairing for the RKC. While I still don't care for the looks of my bike with the fairing as I prefer the look of the RKC in it's stripped down mode, I can easily pop off the fairing and either pop on the windshield OR go completely w/o. It's the best of both worlds

But, like others have said, test ride both then decide. You really won't be disappointed in either as both are GREAT bikes.

Old 11-19-2009 | 07:39 PM
n2hogs
Stage I

i bought the 04 ultra classic have made 2 trips to sd and key west this summer u have cruise, intercom and most of you dont have add anything all there , but thats was my choice, just be happy and ride

Quick Reply: Road king or Street glide, which would you buy?