Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Road Glide Inner/Outter fairing gap since paint... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Joshman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Road Glide Inner/Outter fairing gap since paint... WTF

Having some greif with the fairing alignment on my 06 Road glide. Long story short I removed the fairing totally for having the inner painted to match the bike. I have had the outter off a handfull of times and never had an issue with re-assembly and it's always hooked in and went together like it should. Now after having the inner painted and putting everything back together the way it was when I went to put the last piece of the puzzle back on (the outter) it hooked into the bracket good and all the six torx screws lined up perfect, all the plastic locking tabs inside are lined up but when everything was all tightened up and done at the top of the fairing corners right by the windshield there is a noticable gap on each side... wtf! I have had a few of the roadglide fairings off in my day and never seen this.

I have removed and double checked everthing a few times now making sure the outter is on right which it is I cannnot get the gaps out of the fairing no matter what I do. It's the same inner I had before so nothing should have changed here. The only thing I can think is maybe by the baking process at the body shop the inner "warped" somehow being that it's plastic? Anybody ever have this issue? Maybe I am just missing something simple here.

Anyhow heres a couple of pics of what I am talking about, i know these Rg fairings are kinda a dink to work with but I have never had an issue with this at all.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Road Glide Inner/Outter fairing gap since paint... WTF-p1010023.jpg   HELP! Road Glide Inner/Outter fairing gap since paint... WTF-p10100217.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn...this sucks.
Interesting point about the baking process. I worked at a body shop for years and baked many plastic bumpers without any warping. Maybe harley's plastic is much more sensitive to heat. I'm sure someone might be able to chime in with experience painting these fairings.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Have they painted RG fairings before?

Beary

Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be mad about the paint not matching as well... could be just the camera though.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

WHEW, I'm glad I got mine directly from HD...if they fugged up. at least I'd have some options.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

had this happen to me when i replaced the radio.. found that it was sitting to high and to far back close to the head light. i moved it down and forward. toward the rider. and all was fine. give it a look see.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

Beary,

This shop has painted a few before including the owners personal RG last year and his lines up perfect. Thats why i am really scratching the head on this one......

Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
I'd be mad about the paint not matching as well... could be just the camera though.
yeah it's actually just the camera I have. It looks bang on perfect in person it must just be the light and crappy camera combination. No worries they did an awesome job and if it was actually that bad of a match it wouldn't have even made it back from the body shop!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:15 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you can adjust the inner fairing in relation to the brackets. my guess is you got it a little off when putting it all back in. either way it looks like the color is a ways off so it needs to come back off.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OG1
you can adjust the inner fairing in relation to the brackets. my guess is you got it a little off when putting it all back in. either way it looks like the color is a ways off so it needs to come back off.

yeah it's actually just the camera I have. It looks bang on perfect in person it must just be the light and crappy camera combination. No worries they did an awesome job and if it was actually that bad of a match it wouldn't have even made it back from the body shop!

Quick Reply: HELP! Road Glide Inner/Outter fairing gap since paint... WTF