Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 helmet recommendation for wife and I

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3/4 helmet recommendation for wife and I

Wife is putting up the money to get us both matching helmets. Yeah, I'm cheap...and she offered. I'm not a helmet wearer per say, but with all the idiots out there, probably not a bad idea to start wearing one.

So, looked around a little, and see there are literally dozens and dozens of different helmets available. Looking for input from other members on some of the best helmets we should be looking at that you recommend, so we aren't constantly buying helmets that most people end up hating a day later after they buy them.

Here's our criteria:

- 3/4 helmets

- We have an Ultra, and want to use the intercom system when we ride. Helmet would have to be able to accomodate the headset.

- Needs to feel light on the head as possible. I get headaches wearing helmets for some reason, I think it's the additional weight on my weak neck.

- I wear a XL-XXL, she wears a XS-S. Would like to get helmets that match in design, but is proven for safety regardless of the size.

So, what can you recommend for us to narrow our search, and start trying on specific models at the local shops?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Davepa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look here for excellent helmet info

I use a HJC is-33

Researched from here http://www.helmetharbor.com/

Regards Dave

Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the wife and I went with NEXX helmets, and they are ultra light, and made extremely well. Far superior to any I looked at or tried on. Not sure about the headset part, but I think one could be set up if you really wanted it. I went back and forth over many different helmets for a few months before I made the decision.

Helmets are a definite "you get what you pay for" item. I tried on the HJC, Nolan, Scorpion, and Shoei; and the NEXX was the best combo of fit/quality/price. The chin latch is a very nice ratchet style. You can get any of them to match, and some geared to women only.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Try these http://www.nexx-usa.com/Scripts/prod...idProduct=1715
I can personally vouch for the Air. Light and comfy! WOW! Kinda "Speed Racer-ish" and not the typical Harley uniform though....if that doesn't bother you...they're excellent.

Also, they don't look NEAR as fugly as most 3/4 helmets - actually, I'd say it's more of a 2/3

I have an Arai Ram III 3/4 helmet and I'd rather wear my full face or 1/2 than that goofy looking thing!

EDIT...see the above poster went with Nexx too. I have a Scala setup and haven't purchased a new boom/speaker setup for the Nexx yet, but I'm positive, it'll work.

Last edited by monstead; 11-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
sniperduce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have tried several but like the HJC AC 3 Carbon Fiber the best. It was the lightest and best fitting 3/4 helmet out there, imo. The HD Headset works great with it too. We got 2 shipped to us for $360.00 last year from Newenough.com:
http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eye...le_helmet.html

Good luck & Ride safe.......

Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monstead
Try these http://www.nexx-usa.com/Scripts/prod...idProduct=1715
I can personally vouch for the Air. Light and comfy! WOW! Kinda "Speed Racer-ish" and not the typical Harley uniform though....if that doesn't bother you...they're excellent.

Also, they don't look NEAR as fugly as most 3/4 helmets - actually, I'd say it's more of a 2/3

I have an Arai Ram III 3/4 helmet and I'd rather wear my full face or 1/2 than that goofy looking thing!

EDIT...see the above poster went with Nexx too. I have a Scala setup and haven't purchased a new boom/speaker setup for the Nexx yet, but I'm positive, it'll work.
COOL, someone else has a NEXX helmet too! Which one did you get? I have the Vintage in black/orange and my wife has the Queen in black. They are a nice helmet and I love the fighter pilot look

Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, that NEXX sure looks futuristic! We'll put it on the short list for now. Also looked a tthe HJC IS-33 reviews. Some people love them, others hated it. Guess that is like most helmets.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bell Mag 8 is an excellent helmet. Has a built in shield that slides and hides up under the visor when not in use. I use the shield only for rain or very cold rides. Page below shows the shield in the partial down position.
http://*******.com/y8o29jl

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mastery
Well, that NEXX sure looks futuristic! We'll put it on the short list for now. Also looked a tthe HJC IS-33 reviews. Some people love them, others hated it. Guess that is like most helmets.
My biggest complaint with all the helmets that have the inner shield that drop down inside of the face shield is, none of them come down far enough and are right in your line of sight. The NEXX helmets have a outer shield that is shaped like goggles and doesn't cover your whole face, yet totally covers your eyes and is not in your line of sight. Even the most expensive helmets I tried on, none of the inner shields went low enough.

The HJC IS-33 was an ok helmet, but is of an inferior quality. Try it on and you will see. It's definitely a good price, but you will see the difference in it, and high end helmets.

Go to WebBikeWorld and read up on all the helmets, great info.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fulmer makes a good 3/4 with flip shield, $89. I use my HD intercom as it comes set up for it.

Quick Reply: 3/4 helmet recommendation for wife and I