Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis & Camping

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009 | 09:49 AM
crasha51pan
|
Cruiser
Default Sturgis & Camping

Used to ride the Eastern Sierra, never cared much for "campgrounds". I would find a side road that would lead me to a secluded meadow back in the trees and make my camp.
Question:
Can you do that in the Black Hills around the Sturgis area ?
Plan at making a few nights at the Chip but I know I will end up looking for a "quiet" place too...

Old 11-11-2009 | 01:42 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

There is some quiet camping out by Devils Tower that is pretty nice and secluded. There is abundant camping all around the area.

Old 11-11-2009 | 02:45 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

We stay at Mooney's Hog Farm in Piedmont about 15 miles east of Sturgis. Nice quiet almost family atmosphere. Fifteen bucks a night and they have a kitchen in the office building and you can get homemade grub all day long at reasonable prices.

Old 11-11-2009 | 04:11 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

There's an abundance of quiet camping in the area once you get out of town several miles. Camping at the Chip sucks, though. No trees, loud and much of it on a hillside. If you camp there, try to find someone in the RV camping where you can plop your tent -- many do that.

Old 11-14-2009 | 04:19 PM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Default Camping to the east of Rapid City

There are a few campgrounds and other people that have hobby farms in that area. They almost all have space even the week of Sturgis. Show up and pull into the driveway and ask. It is not loud there and it is a good place to ride from. We RIDE to Sturgis and stay at hotels in Rapid City. If you book early or use priceline and name your own price you still can get good prices out there.

Old 11-14-2009 | 10:00 PM
Terminator69
Road Master

We Stayed at HOG Heaven camp gound this year, It is right behind the Hill climb area and was very pleased, Great facilities, great people, Reasonable prices and Remarkably quiet considering its less than 2 miles from DT, You can Jump right on the highway to head to Deadwood or to head East. I highly recomend.

Old 11-14-2009 | 10:59 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer

There is a web site I used this past year , started early , in January , the web site is www.blackhillsbadlands.com this will get you in any town near Sturgis. Great riding in the black hills , we went early (the week before the rally) to ride with out the crowd. It really gets busy and I hate to stand in line for gas , or food or anything. This web site leads you to maps , info of most anything you could want to know.

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:23 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

Just so everyone knows... Camping is allowed anywhere on National Forest land unless otherwise posted.

There are a few rules about camping away from water and roads... check with the local national forest office

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:49 AM
summeroftom
6th Gear
Default I had a good experience here (not an ad)

http://newtonhills.blogspot.com/2010...h-no-more.html

Old 02-07-2010 | 04:58 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer

http://www.creeksidesturgis.com/
Great campground, clean, quiet after 10, great food and close to town. I won't even consider camping anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Sturgis & Camping