Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHX Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts
Default FLHX Stereo Install

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to replace the stock HK stereo with something a little more iPod friendly.

I've narrowed my choices down to a marine grade Alpine headunit, because they integrate well with iPods providing good controls through the deck.

I would like to retain my handlebar controls, so I plan on installing with the Hawg Wired universal harness. That's a no brainer.

However, please see the link here:

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=96

Are the cradle and bezel necessary? Can the headunit be installed into the batwing without utilizing these other trim pieces?

Pics are greatly appreciated from anyone that has experience with the install. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The aftermarket head unit is significantly smaller than the HK unit in your bike. The HK case is attached to the fairing brackets using four screws. The smaller DIN size aftermarket head unit needs a bracket to mount it to the fairing brackets. Biketronics offers an installation kit at somewhat less $$$. So, yes, you will need a "cradle" for installing the aftermarket head unit. Any auto shop can fab a fascia/faceplate to fill in the space around the headunit for a flush fit with the inside edge of the inner fairing cut-out that accommodates the head unit.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding installation of aftermarket head unit, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
potter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
PhatTerry
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We carry a new kit from Biketronics that function with Alpine for $199.95 shipped that includes the face plate and the integration control kit.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ICS%2DRETRADIO

We also carry most of the other brands, Hawg Wired, J&M, Hogtunes, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Thanks guys for the links. I'll scrub through those pretty good after work.

As for reliable brands, are they all equal? Is there one that has a higher satisfaction rating for one over an other.....?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The Biketronics module retains/provides Automatic Volume Control so you don't have to manually adust volume when you accelerate or slow down which the HW doesn't provide; and, BT comes with Lifetime Warranty.

You won't be disappointed with either product.

Almost all aftermarket head units are 4 ohm, so you will want to replace the 2 ohm impedance speakers with 4 ohm.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to replace the stock HK stereo with something a little more iPod friendly.

I've narrowed my choices down to a marine grade Alpine headunit, because they integrate well with iPods providing good controls through the deck.

I would like to retain my handlebar controls, so I plan on installing with the Hawg Wired universal harness. That's a no brainer.

However, please see the link here:

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=96

Are the cradle and bezel necessary? Can the headunit be installed into the batwing without utilizing these other trim pieces?

Pics are greatly appreciated from anyone that has experience with the install. Thanks.
I'm using the HW bezel/cradle and interface. The bezel is the nicest one out on the market hands down...great quality It's a black anodized aluminum and has a clean look when installed. Rob at HW is a top notch guy...I got an early interface (1.2 version) back in May before I deployed and he is now sending me a new with all the current updates no questions asked. Killer customer service and tech support.

On my '08, I made a bezel and cradle out plastic used in for installs. It was a cheaper way of doing things and turned out nice...but just does not compare to the fit and finish of the HW stuff.