Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haulin my Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by geargrinder
Have a Wells Cargo 5X10 as pictured for our Ultra. I offset the bike to the left side a few inches which allows us to load extra equipment such as coolers etc on the right side that can be easily accessed from the side door. I think that the V noses are a waste of interior storage space.
we all have our opinions - a lot depends on what you are pulling the trailer with... Your Rig is as tall as your trailer - no problem

My Highlander is about 11" shorter than my Wells Cargo - The V nose is more aerodynamic than a Flat wall - that is why I went with the V-Nose.. Also, wasted space - With the alum shelves I have put in. I can carry a lot of gear - granted, not as much as you can - but it does all that I need and the extra mpg from the V vs the flat - well, that I need..

If I were to do mine over again AND I had the extra $$$$ - I would have gone with a lower floor... mine is OK but it is a tad bit tall - I make it in just fine, but the angle at the top of the ramp is close...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I haul my Ultra in a 8.5' X 20' because I use the space as my home while at the rallies. Have less than $6K in the climate controlled trailer.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how you fit an Ultra in a 5 X 8 V nose trailer. According to the spec sheet they are 98.6 inches long; 8ft = 96 inches! You measure from the point of the V to the rear door and if you only have 8ft, you have some serious tongue weight there if you can even close the door, plus I don't know how you get around it to strap it down. I have a 5 X 10 V nose by Classic. When I position the bike to give me good weight disturbution, the rear of the tour pac is about 4 inches from the back, and the front tire, in a condor type chock I built myself, is about 10 -12 inches or so from the nose. Gives me enough room to move around the front of the bike to get it strapped down, and puts the heaviest part of the bike over the axle, and little bit forward. There is not enough room to go between the handle bars and the wall. You have to enter the side the door to get around to the front of the bike. A V nose should help with fuel mileage, other wise a I agree with "gear grinder", they are wasted space. I can't imagine putting an Ultra in anything smaller than a 5 x 10 V nose trailer, but I won't say it is impossible. My tongue weight figures out about where the trailer manufacture says it should be. I forget exactly what it is. (around 250 lb or so) I can pick it up, but it is a strain to this old back of mine. If I was doing it again, I would buy at least a 6ft wide trailer. I went with the 5 wide because I pull it with 4.3 V6 in a GMC Sonoma 4x4, and didn't want to drag any more weight than necessary. Pulls real good by the way.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tda69
Didn't you know that Ultra's were made to haul people, not hauled by people?
Sorry if those of us who trailer from time to time, for whatever reason and it is really none of your business why, offend you. There is help for people who think everybody else should do everything THIER way. But if you want to be that way, I will support your right to be so. I will also reserve the right to comment on it if I so choose.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a Classic 5x8 V-Nose that has hauled my last ultra and will haul my 2010 ultra. Easy to load, side door, and the front of the bike is in the v-part. Never had a problem with tonge weight and our nitro sets level when the bike is in the trailer. I use a bike-pro mounted to the trailer floor in the v-part. Ride the bike into the bike-pro and get off. Bike stands straight by it`s self while I hook-up a couple straps.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=mike5511;5839676]I don't know how you fit an Ultra in a 5 X 8 V nose trailer. According to the spec sheet they are 98.6 inches long; 8ft = 96 inches! You measure from the point of the V to the rear door and if you only have 8ft, you have some serious tongue weight there if you can even close the door, plus I don't know how you get around it to strap it down. I have a 5 X 10 V nose by Classic. When I position the bike to give me good weight disturbution, the rear of the tour pac is about 4 inches from the back, and the front tire, in a condor type chock I built myself, is about 10 -12 inches or so from the nose. Gives me enough room to move around the front of the bike to get it strapped down, and puts the heaviest part of the bike over the axle, and little bit forward. There is not enough room to go between the handle bars and the wall. You have to enter the side the door to get around to the front of the bike. A V nose should help with fuel mileage, other wise a I agree with "gear grinder", they are wasted space. I can't imagine putting an Ultra in anything smaller than a 5 x 10 V nose trailer, but I won't say it is impossible. My tongue weight figures out about where the trailer manufacture says it should be. I forget exactly what it is. (around 250 lb or so) I can pick it up, but it is a strain to this old back of mine. If I was doing it again, I would buy at least a 6ft wide trailer. I went with the 5 wide because I pull it with 4.3 V6 in a GMC Sonoma 4x4, and didn't want to drag any more weight than necessary. Pulls real good by the way.[/QUOTe

Like stated, I have an 04 FLHTCI and as far as space required - the only difference in my bike and a Ultra is the CB Radio..

I just went out and measured from the inside of my chock - 24 inches to the inside V...

and as far as strapping down.. I do NOT use straps

I use this http://www.bikersgostrapless.com/

This is the best way to load a bike in any trailer - fast / simple and anyone can load the bike by them self..

I do not know what my tounge weight is - However, I was at the Wells Cargo factory in Utah last July with my trailer and the engineers were very interested in the Roberts latching system. We were talking about a mounting a spare - My bike was inside and they did not have any issues with weight - I did ask them about the total weight and they said I was way under that..

Granted - with only being 5' wide - very little room to move around - However, this is what I wanted - Just enough room to load the bike with gear up front.

I was very pleased at how well the trailer pulled behind the V6 Toyota Highlander and the MPG were also very good - However, I did work at keeping the speed down to get the best milage..

Bigger is always better if the $$$ is there to support it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike5511
I don't know how you fit an Ultra in a 5 X 8 V nose trailer. According to the spec sheet they are 98.6 inches long; 8ft = 96 inches! .

Just went out again and ran the tape

Front to back is 122 inches 5X8 V-nose

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
Just went out again and ran the tape

Front to back is 122 inches 5X8 V-nose
I would call that a 5 x 10 V nose Trailer. (actually 5 x 10'2") That is how the dealer told me they measured them. 5 x 8 would be correct if you left off measuring the v nose. So I think we are talking about the same size. I knew you couldn't fit a Ultra in a 8ft trailer, I was thinking maybe some other brands might be a little longer than a true 8ft, but I believe we are just measuring differently. Glad we cleared that up.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When discussing trailers, it's all about priorities and compromises. If I do this, I give up that etc, etc. One thing I like about the 4X10s is that you always know where their wheels are because they usually track in line with the tow vehicle. This works well when dodging road debree and keeping their wheels off of the curbs when turning. During the winter months we tow over the mountains for a couple of weeks of riding in a warmer climate. Here again, having those wheels tracking in the pre-cut snow path is important to me. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do as I do, just give the original poster some more pros and cons to think about during his decision making process.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
cajunfla
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week while in the Florida Keys, I saw a trailer on the side of the road that looked like a clam shell, except long and tall. Quick glance, I think it was an Ultra inside. Top shell opened like a " V " laying on it's side, and closed down after bike was inside. Wish I had stopped to get a picture. Anyone familiar with this trailer?

Quick Reply: Haulin my Ultra