Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil...skate.....noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Oil...skate.....noise

I have 5000 miles on my 09 SG. I noticed at 3K miles (or there abouts) when I'm pulling RPM's (according to the gauge) 3200 to about 3500 I feel a momentary rumbling vibration in my feet that are up on the Highway bars. I even hear something that coincides with what I'm feeling.

It feels like a roller bearing or something thats spinning or maybe not spinning as fast as whatever the other part is that it's supposed to rotate with.

The term "Skate" comes to mind. It don't sound right or feel right but it's not like a definite sound that you would say Holy Crap whats that!
It's more like a subtle feel and sound that I personally know is not common on my bike at any time but at this particulat RPM.

I changed the oil and looked for anything coming apart. The magnetic plug was clean, as was the dirty oil had no unusual particles aside from the dirty oil. The oil was changed to AMS at 1000 miles and changed again at 4500 miles...I still have the same sound and feeling in the feet.

I hate to go to the dealer with this but I'm torn between doing nothing about it or waiting and thinking something is going to come apart.

But what would the dealer do????
Dyno it? Ride it ? Tell me it's normal?

Maybe I should change the oil back from AMS to regular oil to see if it stops?

Anyone feel this wierdness around 3200-3400 RPM while pulling hard on an 09 SG?

Thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In my opinion what you are feeling is normal while pulling RPM's as long as you are not lugging the engine. These six speed transmission's won't take low rpm's. I try not to let my r's drop below 2K in any gear and if I'm pulling a hill with two up, I don't let it drop that low. As for a bearing slipping or skating, That's BS! If it was a bad bearing, you would hear it all the time, not just at a certain RPM. Think about it, When you are pulling R's that's when the bearing's have the most load. I use Amsoil in all holes on my bike. I think it's the best lubricate for these hot engines. If Harley ever goes to water cooled like the metric bikes I might consider using a less expensive oil....maybe not! If your dealer tell's you it's the oil, I would get a second opinion. The dealer where I have my bike serviced sells Amsoil. Good luck!!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll tell you what a old time HD wrench told me 34 years ago" Just ride the damn thing."I've been doing that many years now and when I haven't, ended up spending money that I didn't have to.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Will do.....I guess nothing ever gets better by itself and if it is really a problem it will get worse. Then I'll do something. If it's not a "problem" it will stay the same. I'll chill out and just ride the damn thing

Good advice.