Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe Shifter Failed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:10 AM
SteveBB
|
Intermediate
Default Toe Shifter Failed

Coming off the highway this morning on my 2008 RK, my downshift from 6th felt a little odd. I went to downshift again, and no toe shifter!

I pulled off to the side at the bottom of the exit, and the toe shifter was flapping lose on the shaft. By pulling it out towards the heel shifter, I was able to get it to catch a little, but it would not stay that way. The bolt was not lose. I used the heel shifter to put the bike in 3rd, and kept it there the rest of the way to work, which was fortunately mostly down hill.

As soon as I can find someone in the office with a set of hex wrenches, I’m going to go check it out, but I’m wondering if anyone’s ever had a failure of the splined shaft?

Cheers - Steve

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:20 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

Seems this it the topic of the week. several post about loosing and loose shifters and fixes. Hope it works out for you with little trouble. Need a bell!

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:24 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Always. When you get home put a little never seize on the bolt, set arm for 1st gear clearance. Tighten that sucker good. The never seize allows the bolt to tread through. Check as need.

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:26 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member

Had mine happen to me a couple of weeks ago on my 06 RK. Used the heel shifter to get back home - 1 1/2 hrs of riding.
Same problem. My son is a certified mechanic - working at a custom shop. He told me that is was the splines etc.... put the heel shifter on the front until I got a replacement. For me, he said it is probably miles, weather and use. * almost 45K on her and Sr RC in PGR here so use shifter alot*

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:30 AM
DD4life
Advanced

yep stock HD stuff is not quality anymore.
Pull the lever off. Retap the bolt hole.
Buy a better quality grade 8 bolt 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer.
Now cut a aluminum shim from a soda (beer) can. spread the shifter clamp open enough
to allow you to place the shim 3/4 way or so around the shaft (leave bolt hole area clear). position correctly for your foot angle. tighten pinch bolt. Apply some red or blue locktite to a nut and put nut on the bolt. That's why the longer bolt.
Stops it from working loose.
This assumes the splines are not completely stripped out.
I do this even with new levers when they don't feel right.
Another option but harder to remove is red or green loctite on the splines when you assemble. Stops the working back and forth everytime you shift and from normal vibrations.
Also while you are there, double check all pinch bolts, especially lever on tranny.

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:40 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member

DD - Yeap, going to use loctite on her this time!

Surprised though with only 6k on her that she did that for you Steve - I would raise a bit of *$ll at the dealership.

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:45 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior

Locktight will do you no good. The splines on the toe shifter and the rod have washed out. You need to replace both.

Bwana

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:51 AM
SteveBB
|
Intermediate
Default Thanks

I appreciate the responses

Old 11-10-2009 | 11:04 AM
SteveBB
|
Intermediate
Default Followup Q

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket shifter assembly or parts supplier? I got my shift levers off, and the splines are wiped out - after 16k miles.

Old 11-10-2009 | 11:08 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveBB
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket shifter assembly or parts supplier? I got my shift levers off, and the splines are wiped out - after 16k miles.
WOW, after 16,000? WTF I guess they are too busy designing Tee-Shirts to care about us guys that ride.

Quick Reply: Toe Shifter Failed