Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch or module that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 01:44 PM
BiggestDawg
|
Advanced HDF Member
Default Ignition switch or module that is the question

Hey all. Well I just spent several hours reading through the forums trying to find an answer to my issue and no luck so far so here goes.

My Ultra has recently started behaiving oddly. In the las week have had three instances where I have gotten to a location done some business and then... I go to my bike un-lock it and turn the switch to ignition and NOTHING. The system won't initialize, no lights, no nothing. The first time that I had this happen I finally had arced the battery to the frame with a screw driver, I was checking that there was life there even though I had no indication of a battery problem. The next time that it happened I had smacked the fairing by the ignition switch and it came back to life. The last time, Saturday night after riding, cooling down, washing it and getting ready to put it in the garage, I went to turn it on and nothing. I had to push it into the garage and my drive has a slope to it so that was a pain but I got it in there. I had talked to the service department at my dealers the day before and told them what had happened and they thought that it could be the ignition switch, this seems likely to me as well but... After I got the bike into the garage I started opening things up going to the ignition switch to start there. I was hoping that it would be a case of cleaning some contacts but it appears to be a sealed unit. As I read through my manual I ran accross the ignition module and that got me to thinking that it could be that. I'm not sure though and that is were this post comes in. It seems to me that in the case of a module they either work or they don't there is rarely any middle ground but I want to be sure. In the mean time what ever the problem was went away again and now I can start it. I also have encountered another issue that happened on Saturday every now and then when I pulled on my front brake my intercom system would go into setup and I would have to hit the mode switch to get it back to the radio. So now back to the question Ignition switch or Ignition module?

Old 07-10-2006 | 06:58 PM
BiggestDawg
|
Advanced HDF Member
Default RE: Ignition switch or module that is the question

Well it doesn't matter now. I was putting things back together for the moment because I need to use the bike today and I broke the switch when I was tightening down the nut. [:@]
So I had to go buy a new switch. The dealer did confirm that the ignition module either works or it doesn't so here goes.