Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
fishercat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new handlebars

Hello,
I need some help/advice. When I ride for any length of time I start to get a little pain in the middle of my back/shoulders. Could this be from the bars not being in the proper position? I've done some searches on handle bars but haven't really found anything that says why anyone decides to get new bars except that they are more comfortable or are just better. So, do you guys think I need new bars? Are there any articles out there that discuss where the bars should be relative to the rider for the best comfort.
Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the bars; how tall are you? Something that lowers your hands and even brings them back a little might help. I switched to some bars that raised my hands just a couple of inches and had to go back to the stock bars because of the pain.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
fishercat
Cruiser

I'm 6'0, but I have a 30" inseam, so I have a little longer torso. I just didn't want to buy a new set of bars if that wasn't the problem.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like we share the same type of build ( long torso). I can say that when I started riding an Ultra the pain in my back was right where you describe, and made me wonder if I'd made a mistake moving "up" from the Heritage.

I switched my bars to a set that gave me a wider grip and moved my hands up and back towards me and that cured the back pain.

The Khromewerks +2 sweepers worked, but i prefer the wrist postion of the WO575.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I think you need bars that are a bit taller and co not make you lean forward so much from the pain you describe.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser

Before you spend a bunch of money on bars, try stretching a little before you ride. Make sure to stretch your neck by turning your head from side to side occasionally as you ride also. I find that helps me a lot, especially on a long ride. I changed bars too (16" apes), but it may be worth a shot to try stretching first.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 AM
mjmangus
Tourer

I'm 5'8" at 190 lbs. The stock bars on the RK had me feeling like I was leaning forward and kinda pushing down, giving me the same symptoms you had. 16" apes really made the difference for me.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'0, but I have a 30" inseam, so I have a little longer torso. I just didn't want to buy a new set of bars if that wasn't the problem.
I'm the same height with the same inseam. The stock bars on the 09 SG work great for me, I just adjusted them a few inches. Honestly can't remember if it was forward or back. When I changed out the bars (same bars but in black) I had a buddy hold 'em, found the position that was most comfortable and tightened the clamp.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I couldn't get comfortable on my Glide when I first bought it. Like RKKY I made a few adjustments, a little at a time, to the original bars and haven't looked back! I measured from the original position of the bars to a fixed part of the bike, so I could move them back to stock position if I needed to. My guess is you should roll the bars towards you a little. That will lower them, bring them closer, also alter the angle of your wrists. Doesn't sound much, but it has served me for almost 20 years!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. I changed the bars with the harley reach bars, which fit with no other changes, and the problem is gone. What a difference...

Quick Reply: Do I need new handlebars