Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Hog wash
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest

My wife has brought up in the past how she would like to rent a Jeep and drive down to Key West. So While we were going to be down to our condo in the St. Pete Beach area for a week I decided to rent a SG from Eagle rider in Miami for two days-lucked out $75 a day special and added the $25 a day-bike insurance. Now given my wife has only test drove a 09 SG with me, she was a little nervous as she wanted to take our little boy. Here are some pictures and well and behold it was Fantasy Fest Week down there, that was a eye opener-exhibitionist-etc. We had a great trip and broke them both in, my wife did only complain of her right foot getting hot-which I never told her in the beginning how awful the seat was going to be on her butt-we should have stopped every 1.5 hrs. vs. the 2 hrs. I did not realize until we did reach Key West that the bike had California plates on it=Cats but I was smiling the whole time. We did wear half helmets on the trip, I did put in ear plugs due to you guys talking about the buffeting w/stock windshield=needs a 8". Once we did get back to Eagle Rider to drop it off I remembered that we needed to top off the gas-so I went on my own with my wife frowning at me not wearing a helmet-had to try it=nice. I was shocked on the ?5.5k rpm rev limiter. I plan on getting the 10 0r 2011 SG I am a lucky man.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mdr432/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest-27680013.jpg   Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest-27680015.jpg   Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest-27680018.jpg   Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest-27680019.jpg   Eagle Rider-Key West-Fantasy Fest-27680022.jpg  

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice pics. We'll be doing that trip over thanksgiving. Anything you'd recommend we not miss?

Thanks

Bubba

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Where were the bridge pictures taken

Bubba

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Nothing against you, your wife or your little puppy but I'd rather see the Fantasy Fest pictures. lol

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
Where were the bridge pictures taken

Bubba
In the first bridge picture he is north bound (east really) and coming up on the Bahia Honda Bridge at about Mile Marker 36. The bridge you see in the photo is the old bridge and is now closed; be careful there is almost always a speed trap at one, if not both, ends of the bridge. Next photo might be the Seven Mile Bridge, also north (east) bound. The third is tricky but I suspect it was taken from the “hump” on the Seven Mile or the top of the Channel 5 Bridge.

Coming into the Keys take the 18 mile stretch, the view from the new Jew Fish Creek Bridge is nice. Beware of speed traps in that area; the Highway Patrol uses laser radar and binoculars on both ends of the bridge. If you like Mexican try the Vera Cruz, ocean side around Mile Marker 104 in Key Largo.

See the show or even swim with the dolphins at Theater of the Sea, Mile Marker 84.5.

World Wide Sportsman around the 81.5 Gulf side has a replica of Hemmingway’s sport fisherman and serves ok lobster salad, sit outside and enjoy the view.

Think about staying in Marathon, the prices are lower and you will wake up 1 to 1 ½ hours closer to home on the day you leave. The pace is slower and the ride to Key West and back (53 miles) enjoyable; Key West is no fun to ride in. If you must drink in Key West spend a night or two there but be prepared to spend serious money for a room.

Coconut Cay in Marathon (Gulf Side about MM 51) is very biker friendly; if you are a vetern there is a DAV with reasonably priced drinks just across the street.

IM me for suggestions for what to do/see in Key West.

When you leave take Card Sound Road back to the mainland (keep to the right at MM 106), you will have to pay $1.00 to cross the bridge but it’s another great view and Alabama Jacks is just past the toll booth on your left. Stop for lunch (fried fish/shrimp/etc) and a cold beer.

Last edited by SA315B; 11-16-2009 at 12:20 AM.