Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Some Feedback re: Windshield Replacement on Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 10:59 AM
Haywire
|
Cruiser
Default Looking for Some Feedback re: Windshield Replacement on Ultra Classic

I am wanting some feedback from riders that have changed the stock windshield on their bagger. Such as what kind you went to, height of windshield purchased, wind buffeting problems if any, service from company you purchased from if you had any problems, etc.

I am wanting to change mine out(Stock windshield at 13") as it is too tall for me and I am looking through it which I do not like. I want to look over it but still get decent wind protection.

I am 5'11' tall. So anyone that has gone through this I would appreciate any and all info on type,size etc.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 11-08-2009 | 11:59 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

You'll get lots of replies to this one, since there are many options.

On my 07 FLHTC, I installed a Clearview 9" -- it has a slight reverse curve at the top, so it acts like a 10". When I recently got the 2010 FLHTK, I moved it to the new bike.

I'm also 5' 11", and I can see the ground, over the shield, from around 20' out. I got the smoke tint, and it works great & looks good on the bike. A very determined bug can make a successful dive-bomb score, but most go over my head. Wind buffeting is negligible.

Old 11-08-2009 | 01:23 PM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default 8" A little too short

I'm at 5' 8" and with my reach seat the 8" is still too low. I will be moving up to a 9-10" before spring riding. Friend has a 12" and it's too high for him also so he is mocing down to a 10". I just haven't decided on brand or re-curve or not. Will research more before deciding. This is on my Stage 4 build 2008 Ultra Classic, not Super Glide Custom.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:37 PM
isac
Road Master

I replace my stock 10" with a Long Ride Shield 10" med.grey with recurve.Great service and good quality...works and looks awesome on the bike ,only minor buffeting above 90 . Other riders have made compliments on how good the shield looks and asked where i got it.

I'm 5' 9" , stock seat.

Two thumbs up...

Old 11-08-2009 | 03:23 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp

I did the Clearview 9.5 inch with the recurve on my 09 Ultra. I'm 6'4 and have no problem with any wind over the windshield

Old 11-08-2009 | 03:50 PM
jetspeed8
Tourer
Veteran: Army

I have a 8" dark tint from Dakota-shield. It is twice as thick as the stock HD and there is no more high speed buffet from the windshield. I have had it on for two years now and no complaints. Very scratch resistant too.

My only complaint would be that at 5'7" if I sit up straight the 8" is too low. I should really move up to a 9 or 10" windshield as well but it is hard to find on with dark tint.

Old 11-08-2009 | 04:54 PM
Drail
Advanced

Mine is a Dakota-Shield also 10" light tint But also extra wide Almost 3'' wider on each side. Check em out on ebay.

Old 11-08-2009 | 05:13 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

isac above nailed it on the head. my streetglide, an 08 i changed immediately to the 10" electraglide shield, worked great, then along came longride shields. after talking with matt there, he told me at my height, 6'4" that the 10" shield with the flip would be perfect. he was absolutely right. if i were a bit shorter it'd even be better, that shield would be perfect for someone who's 4" shorter than me. i got the medium gray tint as well, and it's not so dark that you can't duck down behind it if needed in rain. the quality and price are great. if you were a friend of mine, that's what i would highly recommend, the 10" longride shield, medium tint. it came shipped to me, and is absolutely flawless, and it sure makes my streetglide look even cooler. i get a lot of questios as to "hey man, where'd you get that cool looking shield, it rocks" sort of thing. i take that as quite a compliment. but to ride behind it is awesome. it flips the airstream about to the top of my helmet at my height, so for you it'd be perfect. i would not go to anything else. the klockwerks one that looks like it sat out in the sun and melted just look too goofy for my bike, thanks anyway. go with longride, they're very reasonable. mine cost $75 shipped during a weekend sale. call matt, he's great to deal with, and will not b.s. you at all. great product, highly recommended.

Old 11-08-2009 | 05:51 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser

I have a 09 Ultra and I am 5-10 . I went with a H -D 10 in . It fits me just right, I can see over it and its made well.

Old 11-08-2009 | 05:59 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain

Check out the Memphis Shades website. Their windshields are much more rigid than H-D and are of good optical quality.

Quick Reply: Looking for Some Feedback re: Windshield Replacement on Ultra Classic