Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Cam Chain Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

Figures....I will just put some duct tape on them....JB weld or somethin...Hell if the were 90% at 57k miles i should be able to go to at least 125k....

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I may open the cam chest up again as i didn't change the cam plate o-rings like some dumb ***....Bike runs good though...good oil pressure...rode about 250 miles today and it ran great..
I wouldn't tear it down again just to change those two o-rings, as I would imagine they should last the life of the bike. OTOH if you're doing a cam job I would change them out, as all cam-install kits (AFAIK) have them included and it doesn't take any more time to do it.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Hey iclick, do you remember awhile back seeing someone on HTT that found their hydraulic tensioner plunger was installed wrong from the factory?
I hadn't seen that thread before today, but recall someone mentioning a factory assembly problem that caused a premature failure, so it might've been that one. That and the one in this thread are the only two that I know of who've had to change their late-model tensioners.

Last edited by iclick; 02-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 RG had the old style and it was chewed up at 16k, So I think saying all 07's have the new style isn't accurate. I bought my 07 in Feb of 07 so depending on when your's was built you may not have the new style. I switched to S&S gear drive and threw in their 510 cam runs great as a bolt in. Will be going bigger this summer with heads and a 106" kit..

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I wouldn't tear it down again just to change those two o-rings, as I would imagine they should last the life of the bike. OTOH if you're doing a cam job I would change them out, as all cam-install kits (AFAIK) have them included and it doesn't take any more time to do it.
The thing is i don't remember if i put them or let them there and it's driving me freakin crazy.....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The thing is i don't remember if i put them or let them there and it's driving me freakin crazy.....
They probably stayed in the cam plate and are still there, but I understand your trepidation. Ride your bike long enough to get it up to operating temperature and drain the crankcase. Not the oil pan, but pull the plug that's directly under the crankshaft and measure what comes out. If it's 6 oz. or less you are good to go, although some say 8 oz. or even a bit more is acceptable. How does it run and what are your oil temperatures?

For those of you contemplating a DIY cam job, this is a good example of how a checklist would come in handy. I didn't do it, although I did follow the manual closely. But the morning after I did my cam job I couldn't remember tightening the front rocker plate, and like Notgrownup it drove me batty, enough to pull the rocker cover off again to check. It was tight, but I wouldn't have slept from then on had I not gone back in to make sure. If you keep a checklist every step of the way you'll know if you did it or not.

Last edited by iclick; 02-14-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammy
My 07 RG had the old style and it was chewed up at 16k, So I think saying all 07's have the new style isn't accurate. I bought my 07 in Feb of 07 so depending on when your's was built you may not have the new style. I switched to S&S gear drive and threw in their 510 cam runs great as a bolt in. Will be going bigger this summer with heads and a 106" kit..
I didn't know there was an old style and a new style for any '07 and above, as well as the '06 Dyna. My '07 SG was built in 10/06 and it has the same tensioners a friend's '09 has.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Is that what that checklist is for LOL...I will open it up...i can't stand it...Did you really have to use my Dumbass as an example Iclick....I feel stoopid enough as it is...LOL. Hey it's not the first time and probably won't be the last time i do some bonehead crap like that....
At least now i know how to open it up and it's not that complicated since i have the Adjustable pushrods....maybe that was a good decision after all....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I didn't know there was an old style and a new style for any '07 and above, as well as the '06 Dyna. My '07 SG was built in 10/06 and it has the same tensioners a friend's '09 has.
The ones with orange pads and the ones with white pads. The white ones seem to be the better ones.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine are orange and were great looking... pitted a bit and had a normal drag groove but looked ok for 57000 miles...surely not bad enough to worry. My Buddy DJAudette a member here said man look at those, i would change them...i said chill out Cuz...it's fine....

Quick Reply: 2007 Cam Chain Tensioners