Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading Motorcycles in Pickup Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Rooster10
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loading Motorcycles in Pickup Trucks

Ok I have a Motorhome and tow my Nissan Titan behind it. I want to be able to load my street glide in the pickup bed to take with me when I travel. I know there are a lot of different ramps available to do this with but anybody out there doing it? Thought about those power ramps they are pricy.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster10
Ok I have a Motorhome and tow my Nissan Titan behind it. I want to be able to load my street glide in the pickup bed to take with me when I travel. I know there are a lot of different ramps available to do this with but anybody out there doing it? Thought about those power ramps they are pricy.
Friend of mine has one of those power loaders. Doesn't use it anymore cause his wife started riding (two bikes) . He's askin $1000 Michigan

Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Harbor Freight sells a power ramp for $599.00 . Go to there site and look under haul Master products.. The site even has a PDF on how to install.
Dave C http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...&r=4918_150142 Here ya go I found it

Last edited by clap; 11-07-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Best advise I can give you is from experience. Get one of the wide folding ramps. When open they are about the same width as three normal ramps. I know this to be a better solution than most others because I found out real quick running a bike up a ramp is easy. Backing out is another story. If the ramp(s) aren't wide enough to allow you to put both feet down while backing, you may very well fall of the ramp with the bike. I didn't fall, but I sure learned a new degree of pucker factor.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been hauling mine around for a few years in the back of my f150 (5.5 ft) bed. I have a long tri-fold ramp that I bought at Cabela's. I covered it with 3/8 ply and coated it with sand mix paint. I find a place where I can get the truck higher so the ramp is not steep. It us usually not hard to find. I even found an unused loading ramp in Sturgis. It takes about 15 min to load and about 5 minutes to unload. I leave put it on the jiffy stand and strap it down.

Good luck.

Steve.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Man, without a ramp to back up to, this all sounds really scary. Have see some guys loading with ramp way to short for me to want to load with.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser

I have a Supercrew with the 5.5' box. I assume you are leaving the tailgate on. Do you have a chock at the front? Do you use the tie-down brackets in each corner or did you install something else?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default A Supercrew?

Originally Posted by KingCripps
I've been hauling mine around for a few years in the back of my f150 (5.5 ft) bed. I have a long tri-fold ramp that I bought at Cabela's. I covered it with 3/8 ply and coated it with sand mix paint. I find a place where I can get the truck higher so the ramp is not steep. It us usually not hard to find. I even found an unused loading ramp in Sturgis. It takes about 15 min to load and about 5 minutes to unload. I leave put it on the jiffy stand and strap it down.

Good luck.

Steve.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Supercrew with the 5.5' box. I assume you are leaving the tailgate on. Do you have a chock at the front? Do you use the tie-down brackets in each corner or did you install something else?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A 2x12 and ditch/embankment works for me....My Toyota has a 6' bed. My Road Kings rear tire rides right on the crack between the tailgate and bed. I put a piece of diamond plate under the rear tire....Regardless of what make truck you have, you better put a board or something in front of your front tire or you will smash the front bedwall into the cab.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
sailorrudy
Intermediate

I use a 10' long ramp. Put the front tire into a condor cycle loader. A 1800 lb winch is mounted in the front of the bed of the pickup. Push a button and up she comes. Push the bike back so the rear wheel is on the ramp and push the reverse button and down it comes. No sweat. Total cost about 800. The harbor freight ramp calls for you to be on a flat level surface. Ever seen a level parking lot?

Quick Reply: Loading Motorcycles in Pickup Trucks