Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Harleys, 4 Woods Cams, 2 Thunderheaders, 2 tuners and a day with Bob at RC Cycles

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2 Harleys, 4 Woods Cams, 2 Thunderheaders, 2 tuners and a day with Bob at RC Cycles

My friend Roger has an ’09 Road King Classic. He recently installed some Woods TW6-6 (my recommendation) along with adjustable push rods, a Thunderheader and a Power Commander V. He’s using a Stage I air filter from Fuel Moto with the K&N filter. The first map in the bike was the 110 CVO/Thunderheader map from Dynojet. It didn’t run too great, but was acceptable. We also tried a canned map from Fuel Moto, but it also wasn’t great. First run on the dyno for him today was 65hp, 80 lb-ft torque. Pretty pathetic…

I pulled the trigger as well, and had the same cams installed in my 2010 Street Glide, using the stock push rods, along with a Screamin’ Eagle Heavy Breather, Thunderheader, and a TTS Mastertune.

Not knowing all the ins and outs of dyno tuning, I think if I were doing the tuning, I would want the PCV. Real-time tuning changes seem to make it very easy to get the tuning spot-on. Having a great guy running the dyno helps too, of course. On my bike, he loaded a map that he made for a stock-cammed ’10, and went to work. He would run the bike, make some adjustments, then have to shut it down to reload the new map. It seemed to be a much more tedious process, but the end result was surprisingly similar. Both AFR’s were similar, as were the performance numbers.

The dyno tuner prefers the Mastertune, even though the tuning is more difficult. To me, and to the dyno, both tuners accomplish the same thing.

Interesting to note, today’s correction factor is .97, so the actual numbers the bikes put out were 3% higher than what’s listed on the sheets.

I’m quite pleased, only having added cams, an intake, a pipe and a tune. I’ve read posts with 103 kits with cams that make less power…

I know, I know, this post is worthless without a dyno sheet. Here you go (please excuse the crappy cell phone pic, I haven't figured out my scanner yet):

Last edited by JCleary; 11-06-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive numbers, hows the valvetrain noise with those cams?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Goes to show what a good EFI tuning device in the proper tuners hands can do.
Canned maps are just that...........in the can.

Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are those both 96" motors????

Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by JCleary
My friend Roger has an ’09 Road King Classic. He recently installed some Woods TW6-6 (my recommendation) along with adjustable push rods, a Thunderheader and a Power Commander V. He’s using a Stage I air filter from Fuel Moto with the K&N filter. The first map in the bike was the 110 CVO/Thunderheader map from Dynojet. It didn’t run too great, but was acceptable. We also tried a canned map from Fuel Moto, but it also wasn’t great. First run on the dyno for him today was 65hp, 80 lb-ft torque. Pretty pathetic…

I pulled the trigger as well, and had the same cams installed in my 2010 Street Glide, using the stock push rods, along with a Screamin’ Eagle Heavy Breather, Thunderheader, and a TTS Mastertune.

Interesting to note, today’s correction factor is .97, so the actual numbers the bikes put out were 3% higher than what’s listed on the sheets.

I’m quite pleased, only having added cams, an intake, a pipe and a tune. I’ve read posts with 103 kits with cams that make less power…
Although you make mention of the build, I'm inquiring about the heads, mainly, and throttle body. Stock? If so, I find it virtually impossible for stock heads to bring horsepower numbers in the mid 90's like this on 96" cam only builds. There is nothing "out of the box" different about your build that would indicate that this is possible in comparison with similar builds that put the their HP in the mid '80's. TTS Mastertune, Powercommander, SERT, SEPRT, or whatever device you want to use, I find it difficult to "believe".

Absolutely nothing personal regarding you JCLeary, but a dynotuner can make those dynonumbers reflect anything they want them too, but in reality, the hardware is virtually incapable of producing said numbers.

I would possibly consider one of those builds to be a "freak of nature" and possibly do the unthinkable, but BOTH? At least the dynotuner is consistent in his methodology of dynotuning.

My 0.02 but enjoy the ride nevertheless.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 11-07-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vouch for Bob at RC Cycles. One of the very best IMO.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 AM
deezee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
I find it virtually impossible for stock heads to bring horsepower numbers in the mid 90's like this on 96" cam only builds.
On my 09SG Im making 87/91 with stock heads/tbody, SE211, Thunderheader, PCV, SE backing plate with a K&N, and a half assed tune......(canned map tweaked a bit). I believe if I would have let the tuner have at it he could have gotten an additional 5 or so easy....without "cheating" .

Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Although you make mention of the build, I'm inquiring about the heads, mainly, and throttle body. Stock? If so, I find it virtually impossible for stock heads to bring horsepower numbers in the mid 90's like this on 96" cam only builds. There is nothing "out of the box" different about your build that would indicate that this is possible in comparison with similar builds that put the their HP in the mid '80's. TTS Mastertune, Powercommander, SERT, SEPRT, or whatever device you want to use, I find it difficult to "believe".

Absolutely nothing personal regarding you JCLeary, but a dynotuner can make those dynonumbers reflect anything they want them too, but in reality, the hardware is virtually incapable of producing said numbers.

I would possibly consider one of those builds to be a "freak of nature" and possibly do the unthinkable, but BOTH? At least the dynotuner is consistent in his methodology of dynotuning.

My 0.02 but enjoy the ride nevertheless.
You're kidding, right? The stock heads ain't all that bad on the newer models then add a good 2 into 1 pipe, good cam,....... very doable.

But to help your point, it would be nice to know which model Dyno machine Bob has. If it's not a DJ250i, then he'd be getting a few extra points.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Addendum to my initial reply:

I'm not slamming nor debating Bob's talent, I'm just unaware of the ability of the aforementioned hardware being able to generate such numbers.

I've been wrong before, so I can take being wrong again.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
You're kidding, right?

Actually, no I wasn't kidding. I may be misled, but I wasn't kidding.

Quick Reply: 2 Harleys, 4 Woods Cams, 2 Thunderheaders, 2 tuners and a day with Bob at RC Cycles