Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
newpctech
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel

I thought I would throw this out there for discussion.....

As we all run premium fuel in out bike........

When fueling up at a station with 1 hose pumps, it takes (im told) 6 gallons of fuel to start pumping premium if the last guy used regular....hence you are wasting $$$ if you hit the premium button with a 1 hose.

I try and look for a 3 hose pump, hence I get what I pay for. Riding in SoCal with the mountains and steep grades you will know immediately if you got the wrong grade and spark knock can override your radio (loud)......

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I too look for 3 hose stations, but I don't think the "6-gallon" info is correct. ½ to 1 gallon max is what I would think. Even with this, I watch my range closely and try to empty my tank so that the next tank I'll get more good than bad.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
tencrore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty good point!

A while back, I would search for pumps that had the three separate hoses, but in the past few years I have not seen a single station that has three separate hoses... All have just one, at least here in Northern California.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have wondered the same thing in the past. I used to have a friend that worked for the NC Dept. of Agriculture in the Weights and Measures division. His job was testing accuracy of gas pumps. He said that it only takes a quart or so to flush the 87 stuff out of the line and start pumping the 93. Not sure I agree but that's what he told me. I still look for multiple hose pumps when I fill up.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
stick_hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats actually a good question I've never thought about. I started looking for a typical gas station schematic to see how the pipes and everything are ran for different tanks. I haven't came up with anything yet.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Whiteduramax
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to believe that the switching valve between the grades would be inside the pump itself and that the only gas you got from the previous fillup would be from that valve to the pump handle itself. With that said the hoses are pretty good size so I would guess at least 1/2 to 1 gallon of gas.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been discussed before but iam betting most are way off the mark on this. I have seen the inside of a pump and id bet your lucky if you get a quart of the last gas put thru that hose. Think of it this way if you walk up and hold the trigger on that hose and hold it to the ground what do you get basically nothing which means there is no gas laying in the hose. And the switch housing is in that pump your standing next to and if any little bit is left it would be sitting in the hose just above the switch station in the pump your standing next to so iam saying less than 1/2 quart if that.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by newpctech
I thought I would throw this out there for discussion.....

As we all run premium fuel in out bike........

When fueling up at a station with 1 hose pumps, it takes (im told) 6 gallons of fuel to start pumping premium if the last guy used regular....hence you are wasting $$$ if you hit the premium button with a 1 hose.

I try and look for a 3 hose pump, hence I get what I pay for. Riding in SoCal with the mountains and steep grades you will know immediately if you got the wrong grade and spark knock can override your radio (loud)......

Thoughts?
I don't know but what I can tell you is when I buy premium gas at Sheetz (3 hoses), my bike doesn't run as good as it does when I buy premium gas in a Shell station with 1 hose pumps. What's best then?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name brand gas, always, and only.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I'm sure the MOCO will come up with some doo-dad that costs $189.95 to hook up onto the hose while pumping to remedy this. However, I believe it would only work with HD's orange fuel splash back doo-dad that they currently sell. Oh yeah, the chrome version will be $209.95

Quick Reply: Fuel