Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I'm sure the MOCO will come up with some doo-dad that costs $189.95 to hook up onto the hose while pumping to remedy this. However, I believe it would only work with HD's orange fuel splash back doo-dad that they currently sell. Oh yeah, the chrome version will be $209.95
lol. good one. You can sure tell winter is coming, when we start to worry about this kind of stuff.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

I say just pull in & dump the 1st shot of gas on the ground...just kidding

Don't want someone to blow-up their local station.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you could always just do what I do. Squeeze the trigger out on the ground for about 2 or 3 gallons, that way you will know what you are getting . Just be sure and watch what you are doing if you do this while smoking .

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just hang out in the gas station parking lot drinking beer until another bike pulls in to fill up. Then I go get right behind them so I get fresh premium without worrying about what's left over in the hose. This works well except on those days when there aren't many bikes out, then you have to wait longer, resulting in excess beer.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by newpctech
When fueling up at a station with 1 hose pumps, it takes (im told) 6 gallons of fuel to start pumping premium if the last guy used regular....hence you are wasting $$$ if you hit the premium button with a 1 hose.
Originally Posted by frog13
I just hang out in the gas station parking lot drinking beer until another bike pulls in to fill up. Then I go get right behind them so I get fresh premium without worrying about what's left over in the hose. This works well except on those days when there aren't many bikes out, then you have to wait longer, resulting in excess beer.
Just great. Now I am screwed. I have a 5 gallon tank and I don't drink beer...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a very interesting thought that has never crossed my mind. I dont think it would be a big problem unless you are not close to being empty.

I would suggest you carry a little octane booster with you if your worried. If you have enough compression that a half gallon of regular mixed with 3 and a half gallons of premium will cause your bike to get detonation then you probly need octane booster anyway. It would offset the awful E85 gas that every station carrys anyway.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Just great. Now I am screwed. I have a 5 gallon tank and I don't drink beer...
Soos, you'll be ok, just buy German beer and dump a couple botles in the tank before you fill up, make that Harley run just like a Beemer !!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember this topic coming up before. I'm too lazy to do a search, but I recall the general consensus was that you didn't get a significant amount of the lower octane fuel, even with a one hose pump. Anyhow, I haven't noticed any problems with detonation, or any other fuel issues, so I just don't worry about it.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock 08 EG don't care what fuel is in it.
Most of the time it gets 87 octane gas.
I've tried 87 89 91 and 93.
With 87, it starts, sounds and runs the same as with 93.
Gas mileage is the same too.
I know some bikes hate low octane gas, but mine seems ok.
Just sayin'.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to go back to the days of Real high octane. Today they have us running CORN in our bike. In the past I took a carb apart after running Mobile High Octane and found whatever their additive,left behind a gel like a canned ham inside the bowl. Sunoco 93 does not do this. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Fuel