Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Trailer Hitch/Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Cyclefreak007
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Trailer Hitch/Setup?

Hey guys...Planning on going to Sturgis next year from Charleston SC. Have been going back and forth between trailering and riding. Thinking about trailering largely due to the fact that my girlfriend is coming and another couple on a Dyna, so luggage space is needed. But the more I read on this site the more I want to experience the ride out.

So I think I want to set up a trailer for my '05 Ultra. I am looking for some input on a hitch set up. Don't want anything that is permanently sticking out and noticable. What hitch are y'all using? What is recommended?

Also, on the trailer side, one of the members bought one of the small Harbor Freight trailers and put a roof top luggage box on it. Looked like a pretty affordable way to go. What do you think?

I'm sure this has been addressed in another forum but I'm unable to find it. Thanks for your help???

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personaly have the Hitchdoc it is a really well built hitch and I like the looks, MCHitch is a well built hitch also. Good luck and Ride safe

Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Hey Cyclefreak I started a thread some time ago about this subject and it got some very interesting responses. Go to the search and type Pulling a Trailer the thread I started is on page 3 of that search.
santajim

Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
woodtick50
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 647 Posts

i put a hitch doc on my rkc. trailer was from northern tool, with a tule cartop carrier.
used it on a 5000 mile trip to oregon. worked great.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve been looking at trailers for over a year, I have been planning an extended cross county to begin next June. After much research and looking at trailers both at bike shows and being pulled down the road all I can say is Bushtec. Quite simply, their trailers are superior in every way.

Fit and finish are flawless and the suspension/frame is the best design on the road today. Take a close look at their hitch system (no need for a 360° swivel); I don’t know of another trailer that comes with real motorcycle tires. And the tires are run flat!

http://www.bushtec.com/models.html

By the way, I’m getting the Turbo-2, the Roadstar (to me) is a better looking trailer but the Turbo is easier to load and unload.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
1HD2NV
Road Captain

I use a Hitchdoc also and it has worked great. Will be buying my second one soon for the new bike. I sent you an PM reagrading them.

Check them out here: www.hitchdoc.com

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this hitch. I like to be able to remove the receiver when not in use.
http://www.mchitch.com/Harley_Tourin...h_w_bumper.htm
Also, I do agree with the statements about the bushtec trailers being superior in quallity. However, I could not justify the cost for the amount of time I use my trailer. I am one of the ones that built my own. If you are interested I would suggest going to the Delphi motorcycle trailer forum for more info on the how and how not to do things. I have about 8,000 miles on my trailer and have not had any problems. I just got back from riding North Ga, N.C. and Tn. Smockey mountains. About 1600 mile round trip which included mountain roads, switch backs, etc. and had no problems with the lean angle on the bike with this hitch. Its hard to get a bagger over that far. I added this post in the trailer section of the HDforum that may help. The pictures there will show you what I can pack in it without any problem. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...r-with-rg.html Also added thumbs below from my ride in the Smokeys. Hope this helps, good luck and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails Touring Trailer Hitch/Setup?-dsc05906-large-.jpg   Touring Trailer Hitch/Setup?-dsc05870-large-.jpg  

Last edited by DRAFT1; 11-07-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

CF007....
Just a thought, if you are going to get into the lifestyle of pulling a trailer behind your scoot, don't think cheap.
I've owned my Breeze trailer for 10 years and it's been pulled behind four different bikes. That is what's nice about owning
a black trailer and buying black touring bikes.
My '09 RG has a hitchdoc and they run around $400 plus.
Your trip next year to Sturgis with this other couple, you are going to be responsible for their stuff not just your own.
Hey, I've been there helping out another couple. It can cause problems.
#1...you bought a trailer and your buddy didn't.
#2...you spent $$ to get your bike hitched and your buddy didn't.
#3...you may be white knuckling pulling a trailer and your buddy's in the wind.
#4...your mpg is suffering, not bad, but it will add up on your Sturgis trip.
My 2 cents to you and your buddy is enjoy your trip to Sturgis and you guys UPS some of your stuff and ALL of girls stuff
to where you are staying in Sturgis.
That shipping cost will be cheap price to pay for keeping a friendship alive.
Enjoy your ride knowing your stuff is waiting for you.
I have nothing against you buying a trailer and joining the rest of us who pull one.
I would just recommend that you buy one because you really need one.
See ya in Sturgis.

Last edited by twodollarbill; 11-07-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
ksrider
Intermediate
Wink

i like the mchitch i have on the new bike. i had other brand on last bike. it gives you the option of having a flag holder also. i made a flag holder that plugs into the hitch for parades, toy runs etc. works real well. now in the process of making a small carrier that will plug into it also. we have also pulled a harbor freight trailer many miles with no problems. butch

Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive used a Kromewerks hitch in the past. Easy to install, worked great. I have also built the homemade, cargo topper, HF trailer cut down to include a cooler rack on the tongue. My experience was:
1. Exhaust note became really loud during long grades and such in that the exhaust would bounce off the front of the trailer.
2. Gas mileage below 50 was unchanged, however, at 70 mileage suffered greatly. (mainly from wind drag)
3. I end up packing more 'stuff' simply because you have more room.
4. During hard cornering you could tell it was back there, as well as during braking.
5. No more lane splitting

I sold the trailer after the first long haul, which was several thousand miles. I decided that I would pack lighter and only use the bike. However as my wife and I like to tent camp Im entertaining the idea of building another one, but this time no wider than the bike, and only to hold camping gear.

Quick Reply: Touring Trailer Hitch/Setup?