Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?

I got the V & H Ovals and threw them on my 06 Ultra Glide.

First I got to say I really like the sound of these pipes.

My plan is to put a K & N Air Filter RK-3909 in a couple of weeks and then get it remapped. (Install PCIII in the future)

After thowing the V & H Ovals on - I did not have it re-mapped. I have ran it on a couple of short runs and have not had any performance issues. I am concerned that the 06's already lean condition and then throwing on these pipes it might be too lean and I could be running too hot. As any 06 owner already knows they run extremely hot stock.

Should I throw the stock pipes back on until I get ready to complete this process of Pipe/AirIntake/Remap?

Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?

ORIGINAL: Basz
Should I throw the stock pipes back on until I get ready to complete this process of Pipe/AirIntake/Remap?
YES!
I would install everything at the same time, including the PC3.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get the PCIII, pipes, and AC. Then get it to a Dyno. No need to pay for a re-map twice.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
jaspin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Vance&Hines slip on ovals on my FLHXI and did the Screaming Eagleair cleaner and the Vance&Hines Fuel Pak. I seen this on their web site and then I did a search on it here on the forum. The dealer told me you put the fuel pak on instead of downloading a map. So the cost is not that much of a difference (the fuel pak if you shop around will be about $240.00 and a map download is about $150.00). So far I have not had any issues.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
rhinoevans
Tourer

It is my limited understanding, that any time you change ANYTHING, new MAP.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

You have impecable taste in bikes and color choice my friend...

I rode aftermarket slipons for 1500 miles, before I went the stage1, and PCIII route. The fact of the matter is this, without changing the intake, there is no more air going through the engine. The Ovals are more free-flowing, and they do sound better but in reality you are choked at the intake. Rule of thumb is this...

New mufflers= no need to remap
New Intake= re-map
New dual headers+intake= re-map

Ride your Ovals, enjoy the sound, then later on add the true duals (you will love them) and a new intake, and the PCIII at the same time. Then get it dyno tuned. I just installed V&H True Duals, Kuryakyn Twin Velocity, and a PCIII, I downloaded the map from Dyno that nearly matched my set-up perfectly and I have no complaints.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

Just throwing on the new mufflers does not necessitate a remap. When you add the new air cleaner then you will need a remap. Anytime you allow more air into your engine it will run lean and hot and possibly do damage. Hence the remap is needed to give you the proper air/fuel mixture so no damage occurs. It is easier to just add the Air cleaner and PCIII at the same time.
~Matt

Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 PM
pvglide
Advanced

I ran My bike (06 Fxdci) for 4 or 5 days after adding a set of D&D slip on's. No other changes. The whole time I did nothing but worry about how much damage I was doing from running too lean. I ended up going with a PC III and a K&N air cleaner. Got them from Fuel Moto. Give him (Jamie ) Your specs and mods He"ll program the Map for you before he ships it. I've run about 400 miles since I installed them, High speed,low speed, sitting in traffic, the bike (so far) is running great. The plugs look a lot healthier too. For Me, the peace of mind alone was well worth the money. Pat

Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste your money on a Harley download on an 06 bike!

Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser

Forget the HD download - put that money to the PCIII. you arent running leaner by just adding pipes - it still has the same a/c so it still can only get the same amount of air. The slip-ons just dont take as much effort to push exhaust out. Think of it as straws. you blow through a small straw, it takes a lot of effort to blow through, blow through a bigger one, less power to move same air. But you are still sucking through the small straw, cant get anymore air, not running any leaner.

I put the PCIII and Arlen Ness Big Sucker on for a total of $377 shipped (installed myself - see link to other forum). But you arent hurting it with just slip-ons, if you change a/c then you will need to do something with fuel control ,but do yourself a favor and get a programmable control right off the bat.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_516301/mp.../tm.htm#516301

Quick Reply: Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?