Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:54 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Slip-ons - Re-map necessity?

I put the Vance&Hines slip on ovals on my FLHXI and did the Screaming Eagleair cleaner and the Vance&Hines Fuel Pak. I seen this on their web site and then I did a search on it here on the forum. The dealer told me you put the fuel pak on instead of downloading a map. So the cost is not that much of a difference (the fuel pak if you shop around will be about $240.00 and a map download is about $150.00). So far I have not had any issues.
Don't forget the dealers labor to install the H.D. download, mine gets 110.00! bringing the price to 259.95!

Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$110!!!!! just to plug in the cartridge. And I thought them telling me 1/2 hr ($35) was robbery. I wouldnt give them the $35 let alone a c-note

Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Beavis
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: rhinoevans

It is my limited understanding, that any time you change ANYTHING, new MAP.
Now there is a "stealership" for you.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i installed a pair of Samson mufflers on my 06 RKC last week. no other mods... i went on a ride yesterday (about 250 miles) and the bike ran better with the new mufflers then with the stockers.

no stumbling, no popping, wasnt running hotter... ran better.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

What a coincidence. I installed a set of Samson Silver Bullet slip ons this past Friday 7-7-06. No other mods, no PCiii yet. Bike runs and sounds fantastic. Revs up a lot quicker, pulls a lot harder, better instantaneous throttle response, looks very similar to stock with the taper cuts (except a little smaller diameter), oh, did I mention it sounds killer?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Smitty
Cruiser

I just installed a set of Wild Pigs slip-ons on my '06 Ultra. The rest of the system is stock so I haven't done a remap. The bike sounds fantastic and does not have any decel or popping. I was looking for a low deep throaty sound and these pipes did not dissapoint. Very happy with them.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still confused. [8D]
It makes sense to me that changing the exhaust does not change the air intake therefore does not lean it out any further.

Or does the fact you are allowing more pressure to escape - it allows more air intake - resulting in leaner conditions?

Then tonight I am reading the July issue of AIM "HOG HELPLINE" - page 192.

The Question (condensed version) - 2003 Fatboy, 15,000 miles, at 11,000 miles he installed V & H Longshots HS Exhaust. He inquired at several H_D Dealers if he should re-map. He got several different answers. His question to "Helpline" - "Exactly what (if anything) would be damaged?

"Helpline Answer" Changing the exhaust system to something with less restriction will typically lean out the air/fuel mixture. At cruising rpm, the engine starts to run hotter than normal and can get to the point of overheating. If it gets bad enough you could cook the oil and stick a piston. The 03' mapping wasn't as picky as on the newer models, and you could run sertain exhaust systems without any other changes. Your best bet is to have the air/fuel ratio checked and go from there.

Regarding the engine running hotter - on my 06, the heat coming off the engine with the stock pipes was nearly unbearable on the bottom of my upper legs. It feels about the same now.
With heat being such an issue with these motors I really wished the MOCO would of put an oil temp guage on instead of the useless Air temp guage.

I will be installing the K & N & PCIII in a week or two. I was hoping to keep the V&H Ovals on until then.

Do I understand - Once I have the PCIII installed an H-D re-map is worhtless?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

I installed an oil temp gauge so I'll keep an eye on it to see if the engine runs any hotter than normal with my slip-ons.

ORIGINAL: Basz

I am still confused. [8D]
It makes sense to me that changing the exhaust does not change the air intake therefore does not lean it out any further.

Or does the fact you are allowing more pressure to escape - it allows more air intake - resulting in leaner conditions?

Then tonight I am reading the July issue of AIM "HOG HELPLINE" - page 192.

The Question (condensed version) - 2003 Fatboy, 15,000 miles, at 11,000 miles he installed V & H Longshots HS Exhaust. He inquired at several H_D Dealers if he should re-map. He got several different answers. His question to "Helpline" - "Exactly what (if anything) would be damaged?

"Helpline Answer" Changing the exhaust system to something with less restriction will typically lean out the air/fuel mixture. At cruising rpm, the engine starts to run hotter than normal and can get to the point of overheating. If it gets bad enough you could cook the oil and stick a piston. The 03' mapping wasn't as picky as on the newer models, and you could run sertain exhaust systems without any other changes. Your best bet is to have the air/fuel ratio checked and go from there.

Regarding the engine running hotter - on my 06, the heat coming off the engine with the stock pipes was nearly unbearable on the bottom of my upper legs. It feels about the same now.
With heat being such an issue with these motors I really wished the MOCO would of put an oil temp guage on instead of the useless Air temp guage.

I will be installing the K & N & PCIII in a week or two. I was hoping to keep the V&H Ovals on until then.

Do I understand - Once I have the PCIII installed an H-D re-map is worhtless?

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

If what you are saying is true? Then after having Slip ons and Filter w/download, Then it would not matter if you took the baffles completly out??? That is not right , is it?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Ever seen a left handed SG?

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/0BEE97B28270494E9CF43ADE32BEA778.jpg[/IMG]