Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$134/hr dealer labour

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $134/hr dealer labour

My dealer has just put their workshop labour rate up to $134/hr Aussie which is about $120/hr US.

This will be my last dealer service, for the cost of the labour I can buy all the tools except for the dyno. I would do this service myself but she needs dyno time to sort the tune once and for all.

What are people paying their wrenches??

Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, $120/hr US!!! Cold day in hell before I'd pay that. Last dealer I went to was $75/hour.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I think our shop is up to $85 or $89 or something like that. All the routine maint's are on a scale.....5k service is $350, etc.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them like we tell them in the U.S...For something that ridiculous.

F*ck Off, or S*d Off....

Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do most of my own service work anyway but I have never taken mine to the dealer but my indy charges $55/hour.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just pay them $25 for whatever they charge you and wait 6 months to see if they call you.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

For that kind of money, might just be cheaper to trade everytime you need service. You right, get the manual!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Around here minimum shop rates are $110 to $150 per hour. It sounds expensive, but when you figure the cost of living, property, etc., it's really not that bad. Consider this:

If you pay your mechanics $28/hr (basically poverty level in NorCal) your total cost including benefits are about $50 per hour. Add in your overhead, like rent/mortgage payments, ridiculously high liability insurance, franchise fees and advertising, building and equipment maintenance, and your PRE-TAX profit is less than $20 per hour.

It takes a lot to run a full shop. Most who do not own small to medium size businesses that provide insurance to employees and run by the book do not realize this.

I personally will no longer pay the cost to have my bikes serviced at the dealer. But, for some, it's the only solution as they do not have the mechanical ability. Those people, who also just paid $20k-$40k on a motorcycle, should expect to pay that much.

In other areas, where the cost of living is lower, the hourly rate should be less and generally is....

All I'm saying is that these guys aren't making as much money as the general public thinks.

Last edited by JCleary; 11-06-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Around here minimum shop rates are $110 to $150 per hour. It sounds expensive, but when you figure the cost of living, property, etc., it's really not that bad. Consiser this:

If you pay your mechanics $28/hr (basically poverty level in NorCal) your total cost including benefits are about $50 per hour. Add in your overhead, like rent/mortgage payments, ridiculously high liability insurance, franchise fees and advertising, building and equipment maintenance, and your PRE-TAX profit is less than $20 per hour.

It takes a lot to run a full shop. Most who do not own small to medium size businesses that provide insurance to employees and run by the book do not realize this.

I personally will no longer pay the cost to have my bikes serviced at the dealer. But, for some, it's the only solution as they do not have the mechanical ability. Those people, who also just paid $20k-$40k on a motorcycle, should expect to pay that much.

In other areas, where the cost of living is lower, the hourly rate should be less and generally is....

All I'm saying is that these guys aren't making as much money as the general public thinks.
I think they all should go under .. I LOST A 21+ AN HOUR JOB and now if i can get this new job its 15 bucks an hour.. How the hell does anyone In the us of A figure we can spend that kind of money for service work ? Ill do all my work just because i refuse to pay for harleys requirement of the pretty store fronts that costs us all money . tis about time the dealers (bike and car) realized were all broke as far as service work with todays economy.. Screw em all

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
But, for some, it's the only solution as they do not have the mechanical ability.
I don't buy that. You can always ACQUIRE the mechanical ability. Wrenching a Harley is not brain surgery. Basic tools and a shop manual will do wonders for the budget.

Quick Reply: $134/hr dealer labour