Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$134/hr dealer labour

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
hondo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My indy charges $65.

As far as the guy getting $120/hr US, God Bless him. Goods and services in the good old USofA are based upon supply and demand, quality and experience.

If the mechanic could not get enough business at that $120 rate he would reduce it. Or he may chose to work a 4 hr day at $120/hr versus an 8 hr day at $60/hr. Same money but less hours = more time to ride.

I am blessed to have good knowledge in my profession and 35 years experience which allows me to charge my clients $300/hr and I have all the work I can handle.

I am fortunate enough to not only have found a good indy at $65/hr but he is someone I trust. If I had to use the dealer I personally am still way ahead paying them $120/hr while I work earning my rate. That assumes they do the job correctly which I found early on they did not. That is why I now have an indy.

I never begrudge anyone their labor rate or product costs because I have the freedom to say thank you I'll take it or no thank you I'll go elsewhere.

I envy all of you guys that are mechannically inclined and truly enjoy working on your machines. I don't know a wrench from a screwdriver and at this point in my life don't intend to learn the difference. I'll just stick with what I do know and keep improving on that.

Ride Safe.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that's a rip-off. Local HDealer rate is $90. I'd be thinking of getting some training and opening up my own shop...even part time.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Around here minimum shop rates are $110 to $150 per hour. It sounds expensive, but when you figure the cost of living, property, etc., it's really not that bad. Consiser this:

If you pay your mechanics $28/hr (basically poverty level in NorCal) your total cost including benefits are about $50 per hour. Add in your overhead, like rent/mortgage payments, ridiculously high liability insurance, franchise fees and advertising, building and equipment maintenance, and your PRE-TAX profit is less than $20 per hour.
Even if one allows that the dealer has a cost of $50 per hour, why in the world do they need to more than double that? Using your $110 number they'd be making over $2,000 profit per 40 hour week, per mechanic. Over $100,000 profit per year per mechanic! Sometimes they may not work 40, but I'd think in California sometimes they work over 40. Don't forget the money made off the parts the mechanic is bolting on too.

I know there's taxes and overhead, I'm just saying there's a lot of fat in these operations that a lot of us are not interested in subsidizing.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
TexasFLHX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed!! I think my next purchase from Harley will be the service manual!!

Originally Posted by n8dc
I think they all should go under .. I LOST A 21+ AN HOUR JOB and now if i can get this new job its 15 bucks an hour.. How the hell does anyone In the us of A figure we can spend that kind of money for service work ? Ill do all my work just because i refuse to pay for harleys requirement of the pretty store fronts that costs us all money . tis about time the dealers (bike and car) realized were all broke as far as service work with todays economy.. Screw em all

Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
Just pay them $25 for whatever they charge you and wait 6 months to see if they call you.
Where have I seen that one before ?????

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
6speed
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's the case,bring your bike to me for service.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not intelligent enough to do basic service then please how are you able to start the damn thing up? Some people have plenty of money and will continue to pay the service rate. Some will go to an indy and save a little. Some will just do it themselves and save a lot. Whether dealers are making a lot or not they will lose business to other avenues as people making less than $25 hour cannot pay $120 hour rates.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
I don't buy that. You can always ACQUIRE the mechanical ability. Wrenching a Harley is not brain surgery. Basic tools and a shop manual will do wonders for the budget.
I disagree. You have to have a lil bit of inclination, to be real learnable. There are those that just don't need to be holding a wrench and only get themselves into trouble if they try. I have met a few and I am sure that teaching them would be a waste.
Being able to recognize your weaknesses is a real positive attribute.

If you are not intelligent enough to do basic service then please how are you able to start the damn thing up?
You're kidding, right?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 11-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DGlide04
Where have I seen that one before ?????
Gee,.... I wonder,.... Bwahaha!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No actually I wasn't kidding. You think you can show someone where the key goes and the start button is and you need to pull the clutch in..............and so on but they can't learn to take a drain plug out and change a filter??? Surely your the one kidding.

Quick Reply: $134/hr dealer labour