Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the proper PSI for new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009 | 07:14 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by binkman78
Oh grasshopper; it not wise to put wife's weight on the forum.

Old 11-06-2009 | 02:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member

At 150 ready to ride, Ron's wife sounds a little cutie!

I don't have an 09, but do take a great deal of care with my tyres. Riding 2-up on solo pressures is not something I do, except for short trips, in fact I have always increased pressures when riding 2-up, in almost 500k miles of biking.

One of the reasons I use Avon tyres is because they allow for different pressures in different load conditions. I also use 38F/44R solo, but 2-up increase those by 4 psi to 42F/48R, however when fully loaded on that grand tour, with saddlebags and tourpak bulging, I increase by a further 2psi to 44F/50R.

A source of confusion is those words on the tyre sidewall, giving a tyre pressure and load. Avon explains that those are a standard specification and do not set the maximum pressure allowed with that tyre. Maximum pressure for Avons is 50psi. If you use a different brand, check their website.

Last edited by grbrown; 11-06-2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-06-2009 | 03:29 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

i run 32F/32R

Old 11-06-2009 | 05:59 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Ok I got my cupped tires replaced under warranty by the Dealer. The service guy said run 38PSI in the front 408F and 40 PSI in the rear. I ride mostly two up. I weigh 200 and my wife 150 what's the correct pressure? I've been told several different PSI ranges. Thanks for your help. This forum is great for good info!!!
That's what I always have run going solo, so no less.

Old 11-06-2009 | 06:48 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I run between 38 and 40 psi in both, it rare that I ever run 2 up.

Old 11-06-2009 | 07:37 AM
Ronp42
|
Account Retired

Originally Posted by grbrown
At 150 ready to ride, Ron's wife sounds a little cutie!

I don't have an 09, but do take a great deal of care with my tyres. Riding 2-up on solo pressures is not something I do, except for short trips, in fact I have always increased pressures when riding 2-up, in almost 500k miles of biking.

One of the reasons I use Avon tyres is because they allow for different pressures in different load conditions. I also use 38F/44R solo, but 2-up increase those by 4 psi to 42F/48R, however when fully loaded on that grand tour, with saddlebags and tourpak bulging, I increase by a further 2psi to 44F/50R.

A source of confusion is those words on the tyre sidewall, giving a tyre pressure and load. Avon explains that those are a standard specification and do not set the maximum pressure allowed with that tyre. Maximum pressure for Avons is 50psi. If you use a different brand, check their website.
Good info here, Thanks! That was my point in asking. I knew what the manuel said and what my Dealer said to use, but I wanted to know with the extra weight what most people used. I mostly ride two up and have rain gear and other items in my Tourpak and saddle bags. I like the looks of the Avons. I ride with a couple who put the Avon Venom on the rear of their bike. It's a good looking tire. The jury is still out on these Dunlop's. I'll be watching very closely to see how these new tires wear. Thanks to everybody for the info.

PS, my wife is a cutie! you would never guess her weight by looking at her.
I'm not putting her pic up here, so don't even go there...LOL.

Old 11-06-2009 | 08:49 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

General rule I've always gone by is....solo....cold tires....4lbs under max....cold tires....2 up....1 to 2 lbs under max. After riding a bit the air in the tires heat up and pressure increases. JMHO though!

Old 11-06-2009 | 09:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Good info here, Thanks! That was my point in asking. I knew what the manuel said and what my Dealer said to use, but I wanted to know with the extra weight what most people used. I mostly ride two up and have rain gear and other items in my Tourpak and saddle bags. I like the looks of the Avons. I ride with a couple who put the Avon Venom on the rear of their bike. It's a good looking tire. The jury is still out on these Dunlop's. I'll be watching very closely to see how these new tires wear. Thanks to everybody for the info.
I arrived at those figures by experiment, but prompted by bikes I owned earlier in my riding life which were very specific about pressures for heavy rider or adding a passenger. Seems odd current bikes don't cover that these days. Solo pressures do not handle very well 2-up, but I am very happy with the ones I quoted. I emailed Avon and got confirmation I was on the right track!

Avon produce a suitable Cobra rear tyre for the latest touring bikes, but their front is described as 'in preparation'. So getting close!

PS, my wife is a cutie! you would never guess her weight by looking at her.
I'm not putting her pic up here, so don't even go there...LOL.
We understand!

Old 11-06-2009 | 09:32 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

On my 08, 36 front, 40 in the rear. if 2 up I just pump up the shocks.

Old 11-06-2009 | 09:46 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Dunlap factory guy at the York open house told us 36 front and 40 rear.

Quick Reply: What's the proper PSI for new tires?