Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Sirius radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Whitebone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I went inside the Fairing, taped into the Cigarette Lighter for the power. I took the FM Direct Adapter in the antenna and saved a lot of money. .
This is what I am looking for. Which fm direct adapter did you use? I want to keep the aux plug open in case I wanted to plug the ipod in. I know easy switch of plugs but I have to go in the the fairing anyway so why not make it as clean as possible.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from wally world for 50 bux and it works great. It's the Strautus 5. I have it hard wired and permenantly mounted to the fairing. The mount that comes in the kit is NOT motorcycle friendly. Don't ask how I know this. You only loose one and then you learn. I found a rain cover on ebay for 10 bux that is made for it, works great.

Attached Thumbnails Portable Sirius radios-1955-chevy-build-sheet-015-small-.jpg   Portable Sirius radios-1955-chevy-build-sheet-017-small-.jpg   Portable Sirius radios-1955-chevy-build-sheet-009-small-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I bought this radio http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-star...k1-p-6042.html

together with this mounting system http://www.tss-radio.com/professiona...k1-p-4430.html

and the FM Direct Adaptor to connect the Sirius radio to my bikes HK radio http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7872

When I looked at Sirius radios subscription options, I discovered that they have an option that allows you to select 50 stations out of their lineup and the cost is only around $7/month. Since I typically only listen to about 5 or 6 of their stations with any regularity, that seemed a good deal to me. I bought the Starmate 5 because it's compatible with that subscription. Not all of Sirius' radios are.

The chose the TSS-Radio mounting system because it includes the mount itself as well as a power adapter. I found an unused spade connector on the wiring loom that feeds the headlight that worked perfectly for power. I put mine on the left side of the handlebars. It also includes two different covers that protect the radio head from the weather. Which one you use depends on the radio. I took a week long trip with friends right after I installed the Sirius system and we hit quite a bit of rain during that week. Our last day had us in and out of some pretty good rain showers all day long and the cover worked great. The radio remained dry and I never had any issues with reception or sound quality.

The FM Direct Adaptor simply plugs in between the HK's radio and the bikes antenna. If the Sirius radio is on, the unit defaults to that side. If the Sirius radio is off, the unit defaults to the bikes radio antenna. The only thing you have to do is make sure the HK radio is tuned to the same frequency that the Sirius radio's FM transmitter is tuned to. The good part is that since the signal adapter blocks the bikes antenna when the Sirius radio is on, you don't have to worry about any local stations that might be operating on the same frequency. The Sirius radios FM transmitter is, in effect, hard wired to the HK radio and isn't actually transmitting through the air as it could be doing. So far, it's worked very well on my bike.

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes to install and another 5 or so to get on the Internet and activate the new subscription.

Hope this helps!
Good luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 02-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the HD glove box pouches and attached the base for the radio to the flap. Then ran the wiring through a loom and through the fairing. I only listen to 4-5 stations and have them on the first buttons so I don't need to look at it when I change stations. Here's a pic.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitebone
This is what I am looking for. Which FM direct adapter did you use? I want to keep the aux plug open in case I wanted to plug the ipod in. I know easy switch of plugs but I have to go in the the fairing anyway so why not make it as clean as possible.
I purchased the FM Direct Adapter from Sirius. It cuts out all FM stations from the Antenna line when the Sirius is turned on. It does not require anything other than being put in the antenna line. I have been sitting right next to the FM station and it didn't interfere with the Sirius station to which I was listening.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried 2 FM direct adapters plugged inline with HK radio and the bike antenna and the FM adapter plugged into the FM out plug on my Starmate and I get no antenna detected message on the starmate display, why?

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I bought this radio http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-star...k1-p-6042.html

together with this mounting system http://www.tss-radio.com/professiona...k1-p-4430.html

and the FM Direct Adaptor to connect the Sirius radio to my bikes HK radio http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7872

When I looked at Sirius radios subscription options, I discovered that they have an option that allows you to select 50 stations out of their lineup and the cost is only around $7/month. Since I typically only listen to about 5 or 6 of their stations with any regularity, that seemed a good deal to me. I bought the Starmate 5 because it's compatible with that subscription. Not all of Sirius' radios are.

The chose the TSS-Radio mounting system because it includes the mount itself as well as a power adapter. I found an unused spade connector on the wiring loom that feeds the headlight that worked perfectly for power. I put mine on the left side of the handlebars. It also includes two different covers that protect the radio head from the weather. Which one you use depends on the radio. I took a week long trip with friends right after I installed the Sirius system and we hit quite a bit of rain during that week. Our last day had us in and out of some pretty good rain showers all day long and the cover worked great. The radio remained dry and I never had any issues with reception or sound quality.

The FM Direct Adaptor simply plugs in between the HK's radio and the bikes antenna. If the Sirius radio is on, the unit defaults to that side. If the Sirius radio is off, the unit defaults to the bikes radio antenna. The only thing you have to do is make sure the HK radio is tuned to the same frequency that the Sirius radio's FM transmitter is tuned to. The good part is that since the signal adapter blocks the bikes antenna when the Sirius radio is on, you don't have to worry about any local stations that might be operating on the same frequency. The Sirius radios FM transmitter is, in effect, hard wired to the HK radio and isn't actually transmitting through the air as it could be doing. So far, it's worked very well on my bike.

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes to install and another 5 or so to get on the Internet and activate the new subscription.

Hope this helps!
Good luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgretz
I tried 2 FM direct adapters plugged inline with HK radio and the bike antenna and the FM adapter plugged into the FM out plug on my Starmate and I get no antenna detected message on the starmate display, why?
That message means that the little puck antenna that the Starmate gets it's signal from is not detected. It has nothing to do with the FM switch for the bike's radio.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dgretz
Like Pioneer said, it's not the FM direct adapter that's the problem. The Starmate does not "receive" it's signal from the adapter. It receives it's radio signal from the satilites from the small puck like antenna that should have come with the Starmate. That antenna is probably configured for installation on a car which means the cable is way too long to be easily dealt with on a motorcycle but they can be had with shorter cabling that makes for a much cleaner install.

Something like this:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/si...sh-short-cable

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I am not reading things right. The FMDA25 FM driect adapter I thought was suppose to allow you to use your bikes regular antenna and thus not have to use the dot antenna. Directions that came with the FMDA25 shows you unplug the bike antenna from the radio and plug it into the female antenna receptacle on the FM direct and plug the male connector from FM direct into the radio and then plug the last adapter plug from FM direct in the the FM out jack on the sirius unit. Then tune the HK and sirius unit to the same FM frequency. It mentions nothing about hooking up an antenna to the antenna jack of the sirius unit (as thought that was the purpose of the FMDA25 unit to begin with, to eliminate the need for the extra antenna).

Quick Reply: Portable Sirius radios