Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts
Thumbs up Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light

A few weeks ago, Dave from Custom Dynamics offered to send out the Street Magic Genesis II LED Tail Light to a few folks to try them out. I took Dave up on his offer and promptly received the Genesis 2 Laydown Smoked tail light (for FLHX) in the mail and easily installed it in a matter of minutes. The fit and finish are top notch. Real nice quality, light weight and very bright. It's a vast improvement over my previous tail light, which was barely visible during the day and not a whole lot better at night. Although these photos don't do the Gen II justice, I've attached a few pics to show how bright the lights are and the fit/form/function of the unit. Overall, the Street Magic Gen II is a great piece of gear and I'm confident that cagers are seeing me much better during day and night riding.

Attached Thumbnails Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light-tail-light-1.jpg   Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light-tail-light-2.jpg   Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light-tail-light-3.jpg   Review of Custom Dynamics LED Tail Light-tail-light-4.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the kit include a "load balancer" since you're going from a normal incandescent bulb to an LED style???

Old 11-05-2009, 05:29 AM
wonbyone
Intermediate

I installed one also this week, paid for mine. So not obligated or biased regarding the units build or performance. Having said that, it is very well made, and I really like the performance. I went from OEM to this and do not have one of the other LED options available for comparison... but this is bright. I like the red plastic reflector that the LEDs are enclosed in too, can't speak about the clear or smoked plastic. But the red "lay down style" is what I got. There is something going on inside the reflector to add to the units brightness I think. There must be a prism texture or something to help with the throw of the light... it works. Well worth the money in my opinion. Best Regards, Bill

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

No need for a load equalizer on the brake light. The only time it's needed is for turn signals, the load from the LED's are so low that the TSSM (TSM) think it's a blown bulb and flashes fast.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by wonbyone
I went from OEM to this and do not have one of the other LED options available for comparison... but this is bright. I like the red plastic reflector that the LEDs are enclosed in too, can't speak about the clear or smoked plastic. But the red "lay down style" is what I got. There is something going on inside the reflector to add to the units brightness I think. There must be a prism texture or something to help with the throw of the light... it works. Well worth the money in my opinion. Best Regards, Bill
I think you're right about that. There is something inside the unit that tends to amplify the brightness. Not sure what it is, but it works great...

Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Looks like the one I have from HD.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
TimBone
Tourer

Originally Posted by Plow64
A few weeks ago, Dave from Custom Dynamics offered to send out the Street Magic Genesis II LED Tail Light to a few folks to try them out. I took Dave up on his offer and promptly received the Genesis 2 Laydown Smoked tail light (for FLHX) in the mail and easily installed it in a matter of minutes. The fit and finish are top notch. Real nice quality, light weight and very bright. It's a vast improvement over my previous tail light, which was barely visible during the day and not a whole lot better at night. Although these photos don't do the Gen II justice, I've attached a few pics to show how bright the lights are and the fit/form/function of the unit. Overall, the Street Magic Gen II is a great piece of gear and I'm confident that cagers are seeing me much better during day and night riding.

Looks good, they make one of those for a 2001 Road King?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TimBone
Looks good, they make one of those for a 2001 Road King?
I believe they do. Check their website and click on the "catalog" link.

http://www.customdynamics.com/

Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Downeasta
Stage II
Default Customer Service

I had a customer service problem but Lynn called me back and took care of me.

Last edited by Downeasta; 09-26-2016 at 10:16 AM.