Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Extension kits for Wild 1 518's or others

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wire Extension kits for Wild 1 518's or others

For those of you who have changed their bars out. Just wondered if you bought wire extension kits or made your own. I'm talking about the controls like turn signals, cruise, horn, etc., not the clutch, ABS or TBW I'm getting the Wild 1 518's and was told by them that the wire extension kit would do it. Thanks, Jim

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with 12.5 WildOne 577's. Whoever you get them from, solder the connections together, do not just plug them in or you will be sorry later. I did mine the 1st time with the plug and play connection, used tape on each connection. got the bars installed and found out the hard way a couple of connections came apart, had to start over. Major pain. Got to solder the connections to avoid this problem. Good luck, this job is not as easy as you think. I build race cars and built a custom v rod, this job was in the top 5 of all jobs I have done time wise. Dont want to scare you but it looks easier than it is. Give your self 10+ hours start to finish. Good luck

Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my bud went with 18" apes I pitched in and helped. We soldered all of his connections,he did not have the TBW but this job did take us three evenings after he got off of work. It did take some doing,and I too am a mechanic,been working on Heavy junk and automated industrial machinery all my adult life. Just as it has been said,it will be a job.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying extensions is like tossing money down the drain. It's just too easy to make them yourself. I would much rather have a solder joint than connectors. Do a clean solder job, stagger each wire, and double up on your heat shrink. I always wrap the bundle with electrical tape for good measure. It's not difficult at all to do it yourself, it just takes time.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to be installing some 513s . How do you know how much to splice in to the existing? Seems like you could end up with a couple inches too much and have to start over or have a problem later with the excess kinking up somewhere inside the bar.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
blownrocket
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did 12" aps on my road glide. didnt need to extend the harness at all. internally ran all the wires inside the bars and with the fairing it took me about 5-6 hrs to do. make sure to solider the t.g.s it will be alot less of a headach

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmything
For those of you who have changed their bars out. Just wondered if you bought wire extension kits or made your own. I'm talking about the controls like turn signals, cruise, horn, etc., not the clutch, ABS or TBW I'm getting the Wild 1 518's and was told by them that the wire extension kit would do it. Thanks, Jim
I'm going to have a pair of 518's for sale prob next week. Used, but excel/cond. I was gonna put em on ebay, but I'd rather see someone on the forum get good use out of them.
$100.00 + shpg

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
tencrore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cathead
I'm going to be installing some 513s . How do you know how much to splice in to the existing? Seems like you could end up with a couple inches too much and have to start over or have a problem later with the excess kinking up somewhere inside the bar.
Hey Cathead;

I put 513's on my Road King. I would suggest using about 12- 15" of splice when you extend you wires. And like 2000FiveOh said, no need to buy any kit. Just make sure your solder joints are good (shiny and wet looking... a poor solder joint will look dry). Staggering the joints really help when you pull the loom through the bars.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So you just matched the guage of the wires, and hit radio shack? And for the ones who have 09's, did you have to slightly bend your brake banjo fitting at the lever? It comes down vertically, and will possibly hit the tank when you turn the bars fully to the right per John at WO. He suggested replacing it with an elbow type if bend doesn't work. Sounds like a challenging job. Thanks for all the posts. I'm pretty good mechanically. It's my patience that needs refining.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Tencrore, that information does help. Would the 12-15" added length be the total area spliced, including the staggering? And, how do you like the 513's?

Quick Reply: Wire Extension kits for Wild 1 518's or others