Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT vs. FLTR Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
How do figure installing lowers on a Roadie has anything to do with eliminating buffeting,that to me makes no sense at all.
Well, I do own one.

Road it for a year before I bought the lowers.The lowers help redirect the air that would normally come up from below that causes the buffeting.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you rent them..remeber the 2010 has the short shield and the short shocks...so your ride and the amount of air you get will suffer compared to the batwing...both things can be remedied...concentrate on the handling, i cant believe the poster above that has ridden 100 of thousands of miles and cant tell a difference...must have been stoned

Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Only you, know what's right for you.... your style of riding, and the roads you ride on.
Rent both, for a week end, give both the bat wing, and the sharknose equal time/miles, then buy the bike that works for you.

What annoys me, might please you,
What pleases me, may annoy you

There is something comforting in owning a bike that looks like every other bike in the parking lot.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want the ever-so-popular batwing bike! The road glide is hideous and nobody wants 'em. LOL

Seriously, rent both and decide for yourself. The only problem with renting is you will not know what it's like driving a road glide with lowers which IMO makes a huge difference.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everyone suggested I did rent both. The Ultra was hands-down better to me. Now after 10,000 miles I know I made the right decision. Friend of mine bought a Road Glide and he's constantly trying to make it as good as the Ultra.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by global force
The RG guys got jokes. But seriously, I would expect the frame mount to be more stable because as the batwing gets banged around, so does the front end. I have a 70 mile daily commute on the interstate and the regular shield may as well be a sail in the wind. Thanks, guys.
When I was deciding I, like you, was concerned about the handling and stability of a motorcycle with a fork mounted fairing. The fact that *some* Touring riders had complained of high speed wobbles induced under certain conditions further fueled my concern. I had assumed this to be caused by the fork mounted fairing, but discovered it was actually the frame and rear swing-arm that was the main culprit. Some EG, RG, and RK riders have installed aftermarket braces as a fix. I was also concerned with buffeting and have experienced it riding Suzuki Vee Stroms with their far forward mounted fairing, like the RG has.
With the new frame on the 09's, and positive reviews regarding stability and handling, I bought a 09 EG. And after a year of riding I can offer this; I am constantly amazed how light yet precise the steering feels and I've not experienced *any*, not one, feeling of instability. This has been the case with new tires, worn out ones, and now back with new tires on, Kansas cross winds, cut rain grooves, and dirt roads. This thing just tracks straight as an arrow.
Buy the bike you want, you can eliminate any stability concerns from your decision. Get cruise control and you can just sit back and enjoy your 70 mile commute!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wattspd
Do you have a Road glide? If not Ride one for about 5 minutes on the freeway and it will make sense real quick. The dirty air that bounces some road glide rides comes from the bottom sides of the shark nose fairing. Taller riders dont suffer from it as much as the shorter riders. Lower fairings redirect the air and makes the ride more comfortable. Eg and street glide fairings suffer from it too but they mount the side vents to redirect the air around the rider and fixes the problem for about 50.00 bucks
The lowers only block minimal air, not ALL air and it surely "does not fix the problem". The deflectors direct not deflect. Telling people to purchase lowers because it will cure the buffeting problem is WRONG information. Lowers only deflect SOME air.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
kildar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend going to the dealer and test riding both. I've had an electra glide and it does beat the glasses off your head. I rode both the 2010 SG and RG and the RG felt the best to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHT With a 6.5" Klock Wurks

Originally Posted by global force
The RG guys got jokes. But seriously, I would expect the frame mount to be more stable because as the batwing gets banged around, so does the front end. I have a 70 mile daily commute on the interstate and the regular shield may as well be a sail in the wind. Thanks, guys.
Lovin my 09 FLHT with the 6.5" Klock Wurks. No problem with the wind gusts at all at this point. Five months, five thousand miles. Good to go.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowers helped some. I have the vinyl lowers that I use only in the cold and rain ($50). The biggest improvement in air management was the +2 Clearview windshield.

The other thing you have to consider, and some do not, is what your wearing on your head. Full face, beanie, half, none.... you get the picture. They all have a big amount of input to the buffering syndrome.

The differences on the 2010 are not too far off. The differences between the 09's vs. 10's is a lot.

2010 EG's against RGC's??? EG has longer shocks. It'll ride smoother. The fairing is closer. The seat is more comfortable. The RGC is basically a SG.

The wind on an EG is better out of the box than an RG IMO. I've ridden both. Once the windshield was changed over, the ball was in the RG's court. It's a matter of what you wear and personal preference.

The steering on the RG is way better. I not sure what the others are comparing it to? The wind does get transfered to the handle bars on the batwings. I'm sure that any owner that's ever had a RK or Heritage can tell you the difference was huge when they ran with the windshield on or off. It's that big. Put enough miles on both and you'll see for yourself.

Really, can any bat wing own really say that when the run into a semi going the opposite direction on a 2 lane road at highway speed, that they can honestly say that they don't get a yank on the handlebars????

The storage in the fairing of the RG's can be matched if you get the lowers with the glove boxes for the EG's. Then again, on the 2010 RGC, you can now fit the vented lowers on it. The older RG's you couldn't. The RGC's have an air baffle between the forks to help with the air coming over the tank because of the gap. Not sure if the 2010 do or not since it's based on the SG.... but I would assume they still do.

I couldn't go back to a bat wing. I didn't like the cramped feel of the bike. Even the seating on my 08 RG was better and gave more leg room than the EG. The handlebars are different as well.

You'll have to rent one if you have a chance. If you can't, I found it was easier to make the RG mine with little changes, than it was to get the EG to feel like my RG. The RG is the true canyon carver and is the best handling touring bike in the line up. Outside of the V-Rod, my wife and I have owned one of each family since 2002 and up.

Quick Reply: FLHT vs. FLTR Fairing