Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore Buildup screeching compensator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
tommyj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bore Buildup screeching compensator

I had the big bore kit with SE255 cams installed and now I have a very loud screeching sound when I start my bike, especially just after stopping it and then restarting after a few minutes. I took it back to my dealer and to a dealer in New Symrna, Fl and both tell me that they can find nothing wrong. Well something is wrong or it wouldn't make a screeching sound that can be heard in the next block. I just called HD Customer Service and they tell me that the sound is a normal sound of the Big Twin. I asked him if he was kidding and he assured me he was not. I told him I understood why he had to go the party line for job security but was there anyone above him that I could talk to and he said it stopped with him. I also asked if he ever read HD Forums and he said he rode his bike and never sat around reading about it. I hope everyone in HD don't have that attitude but I'd still like to know who else to call....in fact, everyone with that problem should be burning MOCO's ears. Well I've vented so I guess my next step is an SE compensator. He did tell me that a shipment of SE Compensators is scheduled to be shipped Friday Nov 6th. I guess that just another way to get my money.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
StreetGlidinFreak
Cruiser

hmmm...interesting.....maybe I should call and ask what is wrong with mine since I don't have a bad screeching sound in mine. Did the techs at the dealer actually hear the sound you are talking about?? As to what it could be, uhhhhh I dunno....

Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
88racing
Road Captain

Does it screech when starting it hot or cold?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
tommyj
Cruiser
Default compensator screech

Yep, this is interesting...especially when you spend 20,000+ on a bike and then a couple more on the big bore. The tech told me his Evo did the same thing a lot of times on a hot start. Mine does it more on a hot start but sometimes on a cold start too. It's really embarrassing when you're in a group and there's a lot of "other" brands with you....I did a search on this forum and I'm not alone in this.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
rl48off
Novice

Your first mistake was taking it down to New Symrna they are a bunch of clowns. Did you get an answer like..."I feel your pain" Take it to Destination Harley in Ormond and ask for Dennis tell him Ronnie sent you. He is getting ready to work on my bike as soon as my new cases come in. I'm going with 103 kit. but they have treated me with some dignity

Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your bike have COMPRESSION RELEASES? Either Automatic or Manual?