Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing lowers, How to

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Fairing lowers, How to

Joe,

I thought the vented fairing lowers would cool better than that. As far as the engine goes it actually gets more direct air with them on. Let me know how you like it with them removed. I had mine off for a couple of weeks last month because when I lowered the front end and put the fat boy front fender on it rubbed on the lowers. I made new brackets (bottom brackets to crash bars) that moved the lowers out and back 1/2 inch which cleared the fender. With the Rinehart pipes I've lost the crossover and a lot of the heat so the lowers don't bother me.

Terry

Old 05-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Markcuda

2. It is going to be hot this weekend and this will give me a chance to ride without them and to see how the bike looks that way.
Then a Ultra ain't for you

Kinda what I'm thinkin.....

Old 05-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Toytech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode 352 miles on Saturday to a rally in Mariposa Ca. with the lowers off. The bike looks ok without them but it does not ride the same. So the lowers are going back on as fast as you can say Bobsyouruncle.
FYI... I took my pyrometer with me and meassured cylinder temps as I rode, I had done this with the lowers on before. There is almost a 40 deg. difference at the rear cylinder without the lowers. The engine does run cooler without the lowers but the bike just is better to ride with them on. Just thought I wold toss this info into the ring to see if it catches anyones attention.

Joe

Old 05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
FLHTCU Rob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Toytech

Rode 352 miles on Saturday to a rally in Mariposa Ca. with the lowers off. The bike looks ok without them but it does not ride the same. So the lowers are going back on as fast as you can say Bobsyouruncle.
FYI... I took my pyrometer with me and meassured cylinder temps as I rode, I had done this with the lowers on before. There is almost a 40 deg. difference at the rear cylinder without the lowers. The engine does run cooler without the lowers but the bike just is better to ride with them on. Just thought I wold toss this info into the ring to see if it catches anyones attention.

Joe
That's kinda what I was thinking. All that hot air blowing around and up into my face with the lowers removed would mess up my goatee! I put a set of Kuryakyn Iso Wings on the "crash" bars. That's where my feet will spend most of their time in the summer--out in the breeze! With my feet out there, the hot air going over/around the engine goes right on by below my butt and I don't notice it. Put my feet back on the floorboards and it does get hot kinda quick. But, I live in Mizzippi, so's I'm used to the heat. They say it ain't the heat that gets you, but the humidity. I say I don't care--heat, humidity, both lead to scantily clad women!