Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) Ultra Classic-2008 vs. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM
rowemesp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) Ultra Classic-2008 vs. BMW

I posted a few weeks ago that I was trying to work a deal for an '07 Ultra--that deal fell through, but I finally found THE bike on eBay--a pristine, black 2008 Ultra Classic (5000 miles). I rode it back to PA from Wisconsin this past weekend--a little cool but enjoyable adventure!

I had never ridden an eGlide much further than a demo ride at the dealer, so I was looking forward to the 834 mile trip to get to know her a little. I have owned one other Harley-a 2003 Sportster 1200. After that I bought an '04 BMW R1150RT--an excellent bike, but not comfortable for my wife, which is what brought me to the Ultra Classic. On the trip home I made a few observations / comparisons with the BMW:

--The Ultra wasn't as "heavy feeling" as I thought it would be; in fact, the BMW is much more top-heavy. I pushed the Ultra in some sweeping turns and it handled nicely for it's size. The BMW sits higher and can do curves better than any other touring bike I can think of. . .just not with my wife on the back!

--The Ultra doesn't get as good gas mileage as the BMW, but I didn't expect it to--more CIs, more weight, and the drag coefficient of a small bus.

--The riding position in the Ultra is more "sustainable" on longer trips than the BMW (no back or shoulder pain). In short, the Ultra's ride is more. . . relaxed.

--The BMW protects the legs from the wind better than the Ultra. I might miss the adjustable windshield on the BMW.

--The radio is better in the Ultra than the BMW--better speakers, more features.

--Engine: The Ultra has a great combination with the 96 CI engine and the six-speed tranny. This bike has a bone stock engine and I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive it was. The stock pipes sound good to me and I'm unlikely to change them. That overdrive gear was NICE on the interstate.

--Cruise control: This is the first bike I've had cruise on and I really like it. Harley did a great job with this--it worked flawlessly for the whole 13 hour ride home.

--Fly-by-wire throttle: Another nice feature that Harley did right. . .the return spring is not as stiff as my Beemer and the response is indistinguishable from a cabled throttle.

--Fuel injection: The Ultra's FI is much more refined than my '04 BMW--it just works, and works well, with no surging problems, no balancing issues, and fully automatic start-up procedure--just hit the start button and ride!

--Styling: I like the styling of both bikes. . .they're just very different--and maybe I'm schizophrenic, because they both appeal to me at different times. There's no denying that the Harley is the head-turner of the two, and is most like to result in getting flashed by a middle-aged woman who appreciates the classic styling. Although I've never been flashed by any woman while I rode the Beemer, if it WERE to happen, it might be a younger woman who does the flashing (as long as my ugly mug is concealed by my full-face helmet)!

I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm looking forward to putting some real miles on soon!

Rob

Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride. Thats why everybody ends up on an Ultra. Some are just smarter and it doesn't take as long to get there.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Every bike has its good and bad points, enjoy your new ride!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Get the service manual from HD and you will discover even more things about your UC!
These are truly great machines!!.
Ride safe

Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride. I too have an 08 Ultra and it has been a great bike and now have over 16k. It handles well with 2up and my wife appreciates the comfort. If she's happy, life is better!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new scoot. Nice little ride to bring her home and get to know her. You'll love it more and more every time you ride it. Ride safe.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
rowemesp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks!

Thanks Robbie52. . .what? wait. . .Oh, I get it. . .I'M the slow learner you speak of. . .heheheheheheeh. . .anyway. .thanks for all the replies and the warm welcome back to the marque. I'll post some pics when I figure out how. . .ya know. . slow learner and all. . .

Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!! enjoy it .. I'm on my 2nd Ultra (99 and now 08) and loved them both. very nice ride for both rider and passenger

Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

congratulations on the new scoot. I was pretty impressed with the handling when I got mine.

Quick Reply: New (to me) Ultra Classic-2008 vs. BMW