Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Lowering a SG

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 11:56 AM
wannabe
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the help so far, Is it Ok to lower the front and not the rear on the Street Glide, Anybody have any words of wisdom on which lowering blocks to use or any shock manufacturers that make a shorter shock? might have to have him look at some different seats if thats going to be the best bet. Any good websites to order from or stay away from.

Old 11-03-2009 | 02:23 PM
white01ss
Tourer

I had some lowering blocks on my 07 SG, but riding two up caused the shocks to bottom out, so I took them off. If you are going to be riding solo, I'm sure they would probably work just fine. The set I ordered was off of ebay, I paid around $50. I'm not sure if they would work on your husbands 2010 SG, but if they would let me know I would sell them for $35 shipped. They were on my bike for about 100 miles. You can adjust them from 1"-3". Everything is there except the loctite.

I'm going to have my seat worked on by a local guy to bring the seat height down.

Old 11-03-2009 | 03:27 PM
rooster3171
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wannabe
My husband just bought a 2010 SG, he lowered my RKC with 12" Progressive shocks, but I believe the SG already has 12" shocks, the newer frame style makes the bike sit alot taller than mine, Progressive's web site only shows 11.5" for the shortest shocks available, does any one make an 11" shock? any one have any good ideas on how to lower it an inch? I was never fond of the air adjustable shocks and really like the ride of the progressives, he didn't want to put the lowering blocks on my bike because too many people said it affected the ride quality when you changed the shock geometry so I don't think he wants to go that route.
I lowered my EG Classic 1.5 inches by cutting my stock shock. If you want pics email me ruben480 at hotmail d o t com.

bitchinbaggers.com

Old 11-04-2009 | 05:52 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Default Lowering Streetglide

If you want a great seat that not only looks terrific but rides even better try a C&C seat. Excellent service. Superb quality and unbelievable turn around time. You'll start out and 1" lower and 1" back in most cases. Plus if you speak with Chuck he'll work with you to come up with the best case scenario to fit you. Next try Bitchen Baggers for cut down Harley air shocks. I use there 10 3/4" shocks and have been very happy. Stay away from lowering blocks they will change the pitch angle of your shocks. I have tried almost everything including 11" progressive shocks. Right now I have settled in on my C&C seat and my Bitchen Baggers 10 3/4 shocks. Bike rides great and sits nice and low so I am flat footed. PM me if you need any more info.
Hope that helps

Old 11-04-2009 | 07:41 AM
stevepacman
Road Master

You might think about going with an adjustable air shock such as Arnott Air Suspension. Mine drop to 9.5" (12" when extended) I also had my Road King Custom seat cut down in width and had the foam shaved. Naturally comfort is lost but that's the trade-off for having a short inseam.

Old 11-04-2009 | 08:45 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

The cheapest thing to try first is a new seat.
I just bought an 08 Road Glide seat off a fellow forum member becuase I heard that it was pretty comfy.

What was a nice suprise for me was:
it is comfy,
it still looks sporty on the bike (not huge looking),
it would have enough padding for your daughter (without looking bulky),
it seems to sit lower than the stock Street Glide seat,
it is narrower in front than the stock Street Gide seat, so that would be easier for you to reach the ground. Your legs wouldn't be spread out as much when stopped.

I bought the 08 because the Mean City Cycle guys said the 09 seat foam was a joke but they liked the 08 Road Glide seat.

Old 11-04-2009 | 09:14 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

If you do lower the rear with a shorter rear shock you
may try the same thing on the forks and lower it to. while
you do that go with chrome lower fork legs. Part number
#54564-09 will lower the front end of you 09 1 inch that
will get your bike low down. I have lowered both front and
rear of my 07 Road King custom.

Old 11-04-2009 | 12:15 PM
wannabe
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the information guys, seems like he'll have a variety of choices now with all this information.

Old 11-04-2009 | 01:00 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

I had my new Ultra lowered at the dealer rear stock style shocks were 179.99 plus 1 hr labor. I also had the front lowered it was around the same $ for parts, but 3hrs labor. When the front was being done I had them put a chrome kit on the front with no extra labor ( they already had it apart ). It still rides as good as before imo. The chrome legs look great!

Old 11-04-2009 | 01:08 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Plus one on the C&C. Looks great, very comfortable for the rider. I'm 5'8" I flat foot it with my C&C. I use a Sundowner when my wife rides with me and if feel like I am tip toeing it with that seat or the stock seat. I just road 500 miles Sunday only stopping for gas and was very comfortable on my C&C. Get the backrest. I would not alter the shocks or forks unless I absolutely had to.
1. The bike bottoms occasionally with the stock setup.
2. You change the geometry which affects handling
3. It is already too easy to scrape the boards/frame on the SG>

Quick Reply: Help with Lowering a SG