Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did the 255's. Im picking the bike up from the dyno shop Sat. I have before and after sheets that I will post when I pick it up. Very impressive numbers with just a cam change and good dyno tune.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM
user 82973220
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going with andrews 54h. my bike is a 103 however. i have heard good things with the 96 also.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Hi PhilM, with an intake close of 40 with the HQ 525 cam that would definitely result in better mid and upper rpm performance (so HQ says on their site) but possibly at the cost of bottom end TQ.... I could be wrong but from what I have read about bagger cams is that around 30 possibly up to 35 intake close is what makes good TQ down low, and isn't that what the heavy touring bikes need?!!
PhilM's point (and HQ's reason for having an intake close at 40 on a cam recommended for '09 and '10 baggers) is that the newer bikes have lower primary gearing than the '07 and '08 96" motors, and the need for the earlier intake close is addressed through that lower gearing on the newer bikes.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
PhilM's point (and HQ's reason for having an intake close at 40 on a cam recommended for '09 and '10 baggers) is that the newer bikes have lower primary gearing than the '07 and '08 96" motors, and the need for the earlier intake close is addressed through that lower gearing on the newer bikes.
Well yes, to a degree...... but surely if you want peak TQ to come on as early as possible (particularly with a touring bike) then from what I have read an intake close of 40 stills seems a bit on the late side. I did a search on dyno charts and it seems to show this no matter whether an 07 bile or an 09 bike. But hey, I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by thewholehog; 11-05-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Well yes, to a degree...... but surely if you want peak TQ to come on as early as possible (particularly with a touring bike) then from what I have read an intake close of 40 stills seems a bit on the late side. I did a search on dyno charts and it seems to show this no matter whether an 07 bile or an 09 bike. But hey, I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not a question of being right or wrong. The engine will generate torque and horsepower regardless of the gearing. The HQ-525 simply takes advantage of the greater mechanically generated torque of the lower gearing in the '09 and '10 bikes to provide hp and torque slightly later in the rpm range than a cam with an earlier intake close.

In other words, instead of using a cam with an earlier intake close to provide more torque from say idle to 2250 or so rpms to get the bike moving, the lower gearing of the '09 and '10 bikes multiplies torque faster than the higher geared '07 and '08 models allowing the later intake close of the HQ 525 to provide more hp and torque over a slightly later rpm range than an earlier intake closing cam.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-06-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Mark MPDC
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
This question ahs been asked alot lately, I did a HQ500 cam last winter with a FatCat pipe, good air cleaner, SERT with a good dyno tune and it makes 90HP and 93LBS of torque and there a lot of 103" that don't come near that.
I'm very happy with this set up, I'm just going to change the gear ratio a little and this is going to keep me happy for several years.
There are so many problems with hard starting using the 103" kits and the HP/Torque improvments are minimal unless you spend a lot of cashola!

Hey jag1886,
I have a build very similiar with my 203cams 90hp/100torq w/tru-duel rineharts but my question to you is i have thinking about the 2-1 fatcat and if i did in your opinion what would i gain or loose?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PhilM, would the HQ-525 be suitable in the 96" and in the future if the motor is punched to a 103 or 107?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All comes down to how you ride your bike. If you putt along at 2200RPM, then a 40 close isn't any assistance to you. If you like to ride above 3500RPM, then it's very beneficial.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like someone said early on in this thread, use the search function and you will find a ton of threads recently about this. I did my cam only upgrade last spring after reading a thread by Iclick about the 255's. I am very happy with the improvement over stock. We will never have a unanimous decision here, so try to sift through all the posts about cams and make an informed decision. Here is the results of my cam swap, before and after the dyno tune

Attached Thumbnails Cam Upgrade ?-004.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
It's not a question of being right or wrong. The engine will generate torque and horsepower regardless of the gearing. The HQ-525 simply takes advantage of the greater mechanically generated torque of the lower gearing in the '09 and '10 bikes to provide hp and torque slightly later in the rpm range than a cam with an earlier intake close.

In other words, instead of using a cam with an earlier intake close to provide more torque from say idle to 2250 or so rpms to get the bike moving, the lower gearing of the '09 and '10 bikes multiplies torque faster than the higher geared '07 and '08 models allowing the later intake close of the HQ 525 to provide more hp and torque over a slightly later rpm range than an earlier intake closing cam.
Thanks, that makes sense. So if using the HQ525 cam, what rpm range would the cam "come on"?

Quick Reply: Cam Upgrade ?