Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated no start problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009 | 08:34 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser
Default Overheated no start problem!

We were at the lone star rally saturday night and made a pass down Strand St. which took about 1 1/2 hours to go 5 blocks. Started out killing engine and restarting to keep heat down but finally started moving enough were the bike ran for about 45 to 50 minutes without shutting off. When we finally got to were we could move we ran about 7 blocks or so to were we could stop and did. After shutting the motor down checked the oil temp at the dipstick gauge and it showed 308! The other 2 bikes I was riding with were hotter than mine one showing 312 and the other 310. We sat there for about 20 minutes and let the oil temps cool to about 260 and decided to continue figuring it was cool enough that the engines would cool quickly at moderate speeds. Well the other 2 bikes started right up and mine spit back and coughed and then refused to fire. Let it sit for a few more minutes and tried again and same thing. After a general look over the only thing I noticed was that the gas tank was extremely hot and after feeling the quick connect at the tank it was too hot to even touch. I pulled the gas cap and checked the fuel temp with my finger and the gas was very hot. We let it sit for about 20 minutes with the gas cap off and attempted another restart and it finally fired. I'm thinking this thing was vapor locked and was wondering if anybody else has ever had this happen?

Old 11-01-2009 | 08:46 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like it got awfully damn hot. Do you have your EITMS enabled?

Old 11-01-2009 | 08:54 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

It was enabled and the rear cylinder was shut down pretty much the entire time. Bad part was the street was lined with bikes and people all the way down and there was no place to stop or get off the street. You had to go all the way to the end. Kind of a bad deal for the motor.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:31 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Ive been in that situation and it is a little stressful. It could be vapor lock as it sounds like it definately got hot enough to vaporize the fuel. IDK what HD plans to do in the future but the way its going with the EPA and all i dont see how a stock bike can make it in those type situations. At least with fuel management system like SERT you and I have they are supposed to run a little cooler but I dont know how much that helps when youre at a standstill. Maybe you should think about getting an oil cooler.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:38 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

There is also a fan you can mount on the left side of the motor that would probably help tremendously in those type situations if you are riding in parades and stuff like that alot. I personally dont care for the looks of them but its better than causing severe internal motor damage.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:41 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

It has a harley cooler on it already, like you said thats just a bad situation for a air cooled bike. Both of the other bikes were softtails with smaller tanks so maybe the heat was able to escape a little easier while mine was more captured due to increased tank size.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:45 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

You know every other bike there was in the same situation and I didnt see anybody broke down or anything. Its really amazing what kind of heat these motors will tolerate and not seize.

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:46 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

That makes sense. It appears your bike has those heat shields on it inside where your thighs would be if you were sitting on the bike. If so, those would have to trap heat as well.

Old 11-02-2009 | 09:54 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Were you revving your motor? I went Fri night and they were giving TICKETS for revving motors. I don't do it (much)... but good lord - if Galveston is going to use this as a money grab and write tickets like that - their going to run people away. Were they issuing tickets Sat night?
Were the people packed in on the streets Sat night? Fri was slightly lame. I'm not a police hater - but some guy fired his up while it was parked... rapped it out 2 or 3 times and they hauled that guy off until you couldn't see 'em anymore. That's just a bit much Galveston!!! This is the best thing you have going for you...

Old 11-02-2009 | 02:21 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

I did witness a lot of tickets being issued friday night as we were at a balcony party and could see a lot of action. Watched probably 3 or 4 get tickets for burnouts and a whole bunch of what I assume are noise tickets for reving engine. Only went thru 1 time saturday night and the crowds were surging in from both side of the streets. I don't think I remember ever seeing that any people there in previous rallys in galveston. I did not witness any tickets saturday night but that probably doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Overheated no start problem!