Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated no start problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009 | 02:33 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Unless the city is desperate for money and setting up a one time rally just to give tickets, which is probably illegal and if it isnt it should be, why in the world would they enforce noise violations during a bike rally? It makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. In the long run, if the city is accommodating to bikers, they will make way more money by not giving petty tickets.

Back to your heat problem, you mentioned motors may seize and that made me think of something else I read here on the forums about excessive heat. I read two different times on here that guys with new bikes had a problem with the rear spark plug melting to the head or being welded to it if you will. You may want to put anti seize on your plugs. Or better yet, in case this has already happened, you may want to take it in to the dealer to have this done so they cant blame you for it if the threads come out with the plug.

Old 11-02-2009 | 03:00 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

I have a lot of experience with aluminum heads and anti-seize goes on all plugs. I've been down that road with a very expensive set of race heads in my drag car. I agree wth you about the noise, after last years rally I remember reading that a lot of local merchants in the strand were complaining about noise and them feeling there was not enough additional revenue to justify the rally being in the histric district. But in all fairness only about 1/2 the businesses were even open last year because of the damage from huricane Ike. I think with the crowds that were there this year there will be alot less complaining from local merchants. Every place we went from local restraunts to hotels to bars were all overflowing. I think this will go down as a very profitable event for local business and next year the local police will probably handle the petty problems differently.

Old 11-02-2009 | 03:25 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

I hope they do it differently next year... I mean enforcing Noise Pollution laws at a Biker Rally... may as well ticket unauthorized lighting (LED's) while your at it. What about a warning for the first offense...

Old 11-02-2009 | 03:44 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

I have been to the Lone Star 5 years in a row and this is the first time they were giving BS tickets like this. I guess they are trying to bounce back from Hurricane Ike and the small crowd last year. This vendor told me he paid $7200 for his spot behind the strand. I don't know what the going rate is, but that seemed extreme.

Anyway next time you get in a parade type setting you may want to remove your lowers to get more air to the engine.

Old 11-02-2009 | 04:28 PM
Texas Pro Stocker
|
Cruiser

Man it would be tough to show a profit for the weekend with that kind of rent. I bought 800 dollars worth of leather (chaps,vest,etc.) for myself and my wife and I tried to get a little discount maybe 10% or so and they weren't dealing. With that kind of rent I know why now!

Old 11-04-2009 | 07:44 PM
DD4life
Advanced

in future events, ride in an outside lane so you can pull over. Sturgis is same way on hot days.
Technically a FI system shouldn't vapor lock, as the pump is in the tank where it is "pushing" fuel to keep system pressurized. But if the fittings and lines got that hot, it's possible fuel was vaporizing in the lines / fittings. Especially now HD went to an oversize tank to compete with the imports, for distance before fill ups.
I would try to avoid the situation, but if you can't, a piece of heat proof foam insulation under the fitting to insulate might help, as a temporary repair. Remove when no longer needed.