Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuetral Light/Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Nuetral Light/Switch problem

The little green nuetral light on my 07 EGC with 26K miles just stopped working yesterday. I checked the wires on the nuetral switch and they seemed fine and tight conenctions, so I thought I might be able to emulate what the switch does by shorting them.. but no joy, or green light on that, so I'm not sure how to isolate the problem.

Hate to take it to the dealer to fix it if it's just a matter of replacign the switch. Looks like it just unscrews there from the tranny?

Any other ideas? What's one of those little switches cost. Could it be the LED itself?

Any others had experience with this? A search indicated on guy had replaced his switch a couple times.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was simply the wiring worked loose. Re-crimped the wire and all is fine. Try the old wiggle it a little and see if it comes on.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Easy fix and cheap. About $5-$10 bucks max. Mine would flicker right after I bought my bike and I replaced it within minutes.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a new one and problem solved

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by PnDegc
Mine was simply the wiring worked loose. Re-crimped the wire and all is fine. Try the old wiggle it a little and see if it comes on.

Was it loose at the switch, or under the fairing?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Sounds like the switch is a pretty cheap part to unscrew and screw in a new one.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you shorted the two leads on the neutral switch together and the light did not come on it is most likely the indicator lamp. Put a new bulb in and give it a try.

I took a look at the wiring diagram in the service manual for the 07 touring, it’s an easy circuit to troubleshoot. Power comes from the 15A INSTR fuse directly to the indicator lamp. From the other side of the indicator light it goes to the neutral switch. When the bike is in neutral it completes the circuit to ground to light the light.

That fuse also feeds the other instruments. You didn’t mention any other gauges not working, so I would say that fuse is ok. You are on the right path to short the wires that go to the switch to emulate the neutral switch. To test the neutral switch put a continuity tester across the switch. In neutral you should have continuity in gear no continuity.

Good Luck

Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default Lottsa Goodies!

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Easy fix and cheap. About $5-$10 bucks max. Mine would flicker right after I bought my bike and I replaced it within minutes.
Hey UK, I have been noticing that your adds on the performance side of your 07 seem to be getting signifcant. Are youy enjoying the extra oomph? Was it worth it?

I'm thinkign that is my path instead of going to an 09.. my 07 doesn't have the big tires, but it's running great otherwise. Might go with one of the Headquaters kits sometime in the next year or year after, depending on employment status and sxome investments I have.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default Good thinking

Originally Posted by Ultra-Rick
If you shorted the two leads on the neutral switch together and the light did not come on it is most likely the indicator lamp. Put a new bulb in and give it a try.

I took a look at the wiring diagram in the service manual for the 07 touring, it’s an easy circuit to troubleshoot. Power comes from the 15A INSTR fuse directly to the indicator lamp. From the other side of the indicator light it goes to the neutral switch. When the bike is in neutral it completes the circuit to ground to light the light.

That fuse also feeds the other instruments. You didn’t mention any other gauges not working, so I would say that fuse is ok. You are on the right path to short the wires that go to the switch to emulate the neutral switch. To test the neutral switch put a continuity tester across the switch. In neutral you should have continuity in gear no continuity.

Good Luck
I was on that path and did look through the service manual and came to the same conclusion. The fuse powers other leds, so it's not the fuse. Could be the ground, or the hot connector, I can also put my VOM ohm meter across the nuetral switch and watch for a short. (zero ohms)

Maybe it is time to pull the fairing. It isn't hard but it is a PITA

Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Hey UK, I have been noticing that your adds on the performance side of your 07 seem to be getting signifcant. Are youy enjoying the extra oomph? Was it worth it?

I'm thinkign that is my path instead of going to an 09.. my 07 doesn't have the big tires, but it's running great otherwise. Might go with one of the Headquaters kits sometime in the next year or year after, depending on employment status and sxome investments I have.
Steve, it was the best $500 bucks I EVER spent! They would have to make a DRASTIC change on the FL's before I get rid of mine. Love it!

PM or post if/when you get ready to do yours. Good luck with those investments..................ESPECIALLY with this White House.

Quick Reply: Nuetral Light/Switch problem