Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StreetGlide mods for shorter riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default StreetGlide mods for shorter riders

Although I'm happy with my Heritage, everytime I go into a dealer a Streetglide keeps calling my name. At 5'8" I already know if I succumb to the temptation I'm going to have to make some fitting mods to it.

I'd like to be able to flatfoot the bike and stand up comfortably while straddling it like I can with my Heritage. I can't do that with the stock 2010 SG.

Seems obvious first step would be a seat with a more narrow crotch area. Then if that's not enough it would be a matter of lowering the rear more.

Question I have is how much more can an SG be lowered before the ride is compromised too much. From what I've read seems alot of owners complain about a stiff ride and bottoming out even w/o lowering.

Also, if there's any SG owners that were former softailers I'd also be interested in hearing any pros/cons about making the switch.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went from a fatboy to a sg back in 06 and it fits me perfect...zero regrets now I am considering going to a 2010 sg...

Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
streetg7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 5' 8"...have a 2007 SG..no problem...fits me good!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master

I went from a 06 Heritage softail to an 08 SG and while both are great bikes, I enjoy the SG more. I ride 75 miles daily and love the ride and stereo of my SG. To get flat footed, I would look at lowering the front first and then look at replacing the seat (maybe a reach seat).

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Get a decent seat (stock one is junk) and have the nose narrowed & the seat area lowered about an 1"....Put some 2" pull back bars on the bike and you should be fine....

Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deuce to RKC

I am 5 7 1/2 and I went to a 2010 RKC. I had it lowered to Street Glide height. That was OK, then I went to a HD "reach" seat. My feet are firmly on the ground in standard Harley boots. I plan on raising it back up an inch or so with a 21"/17" combination.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

OK...A couple of things can help. I'm 5'5" with a 30" inseam...so I'm no giant. All I've done to make my SG fit me well is buy a Reach Seat. I'm not sure if they are out for the 2010 models yet. The Seat places me flat footed on the ground. If ya want abit more to work with...just get a good set of riding boots. Lot's of expensive stuff can be done with lowered shocks front and rear...but ya know...unless you're ready to fish out alot of bucks...the Reach Seat and a Good seal of Riding Boots will probably be all ya need.

Good Luck and Ride Safe, Mike

Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlideMedic
OK...A couple of things can help. I'm 5'5" with a 30" inseam...so I'm no giant. All I've done to make my SG fit me well is buy a Reach Seat. I'm not sure if they are out for the 2010 models yet. The Seat places me flat footed on the ground. If ya want abit more to work with...just get a good set of riding boots. Lot's of expensive stuff can be done with lowered shocks front and rear...but ya know...unless you're ready to fish out alot of bucks...the Reach Seat and a Good seal of Riding Boots will probably be all ya need.

Good Luck and Ride Safe, Mike
I'm thinking the seat alone may be enough also. Maybe I can get the dealer to let me demo an SG with one of those seats. Cat. says it has less padding in it. Have you found it comfortable for long rides.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reach Seat

I have the reach seat on a 2010 RK. Comfort is fine, I have put about 1000 miles on with the new seat. I will say that I bought one and took it back. It pushes you closer to the gas tank, the first one actually hurt. I think the second one may have been used as a demo seat and was more worn. I should have some padding taken out of the butt area, that would help. The significant other loves it, it is much more cushy than the stock seat.

PN 52619-08

Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is 5'5" and just went to an '09 SG this year. We tried a Reach seat and it did the trick, but she wanted a solo seat. Found that a Mustang solo also has the narrower front and just a bit more padding (comfort) than the Reach had. We were also able to add a backrest which not only gives her support, but also keeps her forward on the seat. I also lowered the rear end 1" with lowering blocks (<$50 - not big bucks). She's completely flat-footed, the ride is good, and she's very happy with it. And of course, if she's happy, I'm happy!

Quick Reply: StreetGlide mods for shorter riders