Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm going to get this one. I don't like fussing with the tents too much anymore and this looks like the answer. I've got a pop up tent but it's too big around even when folded to take on the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJlhdodwT8

Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I "camped" for 23 years in the Army. In the words of BB King, the Thrill is Gone. Get hotels man! that's the only way I go now.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I used to camp also. Not any more, I have a hard enough time getting out of my own bed, let alone getting up off the ground! Motels here too!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

What the OP is not saying is that he is doing this run for a competition.
The rules state that he CANNOT use a hotel. So more tent ideas would be helpful.

My vote is to check out REI or something that has seriously compact and protective tents. Especially for the Canada/Alaska leg...

Get a high quality sleeping bag.

lp

Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
What the OP is not saying is that he is doing this run for a competition.
The rules state that he CANNOT use a hotel. So more tent ideas would be helpful.

My vote is to check out REI or something that has seriously compact and protective tents. Especially for the Canada/Alaska leg...

Get a high quality sleeping bag.

lp
Tents are a PITA if you are looking for QUICK!!! A GREAT sleeping bag is the answer....Some can even get wet and still keep you warm.BUT make sure it is one that will dry QUICK if it does get wet/damp!!!I have also seen a tent that has a wire frame and you shake it and it opens and to close you fold it up!!! I will look for it!! Good Luck...
You might want to post this in general section also..i think you will find alot of us geezers are Hotelers and you might get a better options elsewhere

Last edited by riteway; 11-01-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest a 3 man 4 season back packing tent. This will hold up to the elements and you can set it up in just a few minutes. Unfortunately, a really good, light weight 4 season tent is expensive. My travel pack has a Eureka Summit tent and a full queen size blow up air mattress. I have a stuff sack that measures about 8" x 30" that holds the tent/poles, stakes, mattress, and poncho liner. I have to inflate the mattress from inside the tent because it is wall to wall. I use to travel on a Road King and would use velcro straps to attach this pack across the handlebars. It worked great. On the bagger, I just strap it to the top of the tour pak. (I pack a very small 12v air pump that you'll need to blow up and suck ALL the air out of the air mattress). Another small stuff sack (6" x 12") holds my sleeping bag. I use a goose down, 20 degree mummy bag because A. it's warm, B. it packs small and light. One other suggestion...for those /cool/cold mornings have a large candle handy. They make special ones just for camping inside tents. The lit candle will provide light at night but it's mainly for warm and to remove moisture from inside the tent. You'd be amazed at how much warmth you'll get from a single candle in a small tent. Oh yea, one other MUST have item for inside the tent is a large mouth, empty bottle....

Attached Thumbnails Tent?-p5070287.jpg  

Last edited by gunnert; 11-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

As already mentioned if you need to just throw something down beside the bike, sleep 3 hours, and then get back up and ride, then a Bivy sack all that you really need. Bivys are cool because you can get them Waterproof, bug net, floor, no stakes, no poles, and no tarp to have to get creative with.
Stop, unroll, put your tired *** in, Sleep, get out, roll up, go ride....

Note: You still need to put a sleeping bag of your choice inside a bivy sack.

Good place to start, Bivys, tarps, and bunch of other light weight options:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=400045...light+Shelters

Cheap Full protection:
http://www.rei.com/product/731431

Not Cheap Full protection:
http://www.rei.com/product/763836

I would also buy a high quality 0 degree sleeping bag.
In the lower states I would use the bivy and sleep on top of the sleeping bag.
In the upper states, Canada, and Alaska (where its maybe cold ok) I would use the bivy and get inside the sleeping bag.

And after you WIN I would give lp the bivy and the sleeping bag as a gift. That and 50K...

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-01-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Somebody posted about it here once, but I don't know what it's called. It was a cot with a built in tent. (Or a tent with a built in cot). One man. Compact, keeps you off the ground to stay dry. Seemed like a good idea.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As many times your're gonna be stting up the tent and as far and varied the conditions your're gonna be in are, I wouldn't go cheap on the tent if it was me. I'd also want one that can go up quick and drop just as quick, poles be made into the tent and be at least a a 3 season model.

The hands down best and maybe last tent you'll ever buy IMHO would be one from Apache! Take a look at the setup and take down they show in there Video. They are pricey but so is a Harley, last thing you're gonna need is a failure out in the middle of nowhere in a hard wind driven rain which I'm pretty sure your're gonna hit more than once. I've seen these tents in action an up close, I'm cheap as my wife would tell you but after camping with a guy that had one for a week on a trip belive me IT WILL BE MY NEXT TENT It was nothing short of amazing! His had something called a vestable which took up no room but allowed him to leave stuff outside his tent at night but in the dry also allowed him to sit out of his tent to put boots on an once just to sit outside his tent during a stretch of rain and be dry and get some air. Here's a link to them. One thing for your Harley you might want to carry with you is a spare set of Tour Pack bushing's just in case I'd help you with a set but I have none for the 09's up I'm afraid.

http://www.apachetents.com/index.cfm

Good luck on your trip and ride safe and have fun!

Last edited by gilbos440rt; 11-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Eureka 2 man all season tent. A mountaineering sleeping bag with a bivy bag and a roll mat for a pad. None of it was cheap but it has lasted for over 25 years now. (Though it is getting pretty worn by now.)

Quick Reply: Tent?