Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Rental Board...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tool Rental Board...opinions?

Guys,
Seems a few of us on the forum have a supply of the specialty tools required to work on these bikes.
Instead of going to a board and posting "I need this tool"...how do you guys think a "Tool Rental Board" would go over?
Members that have specialty tools and are willing to rent them out could post a thread of the tools they have...the needy member could shoot that person a PM requesting rental fee info.
I think PM'ing the member with tools would work better than just posting on their thread.
I doubt I'd check the thread I started every day to see who needs what.

Anyway, this is just a thought I had.
It'd help you guys that don't have the tools and won't need the tool but once.
It'd also help those of us that have the tool to recoup some of our money back on the purchase.

Give me some feedback, guys.
Enough positive feedback, I'll shoot this thread to Terry for his consideration.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sounds like a good idea

I'm game.

need someone with some knowledge to get it going. There will be ripoffs but there are a lot of hd riders to find the culprits. especially if they dont know who they are actually ripping off.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent idea! Get 'er dun!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Springer
I'm game.

need someone with some knowledge to get it going. There will be ripoffs but there are a lot of hd riders to find the culprits. especially if they dont know who they are actually ripping off.
I like the way you think.
count me in also, I have some tools to loan, and need to be loaned a few as well.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

AutoZone has FREE loaner tools.....Not the specialty tools needed for some HD repairs but good to know in a pinch... :-) .....

Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Arrow I'm in

I have a pretty comprehensive set of metric crescent wrenches available. Since none of my brothers are on this forum I'd loan them out to any of you.
Family members are the Worst for returning tools & stuff.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a good idea, but i dont know how many people will actually participate(the ones with specialty tools i mean) as these tools are VERY expensive and you pretty much cant pick up a specialty tool from Jims for under $300+...

I do hope that people participate but its always ONE bad apple that will sour the deal for everyone.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
I think its a good idea, but i dont know how many people will actually participate(the ones with specialty tools i mean) as these tools are VERY expensive and you pretty much cant pick up a specialty tool from Jims for under $300+...

I do hope that people participate but its always ONE bad apple that will sour the deal for everyone.
No, you're not thinking ahead.
I don't know how others would do it, but I wouldn't rent my tools for a penny less deposit of what the tool cost me.

I have 1 tool that retails over $700 dollars, I got it for dealer cost at $497.
If someone wanted to rent that tool...they'd have to do a $500 deposit plus $10 shipping. Rental fee would be $50 bucks. When I get the tool back, you'd get $450 of your deposit back if my tool was returned in the shape you got it. Ruin a part in the tool set...you'll be PM'd asking how you want to go about replacing it. You can either have me send the tool back and it be yours, or I could replace the part you broke out of your deposit...your choice.

I have no prob in letting anyone on this board use any of my specialty tools...but if you break the tool or any part of it...you own it.
That's why I'd require a deposit in the amount of the purchase price of the tool. If I never get the tool back, that's fine...I have your deposit to replace it.

It's called "CMA"...."Covering My ***"

Old 10-31-2009, 05:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,935 Likes on 3,550 Posts

NOT...Sorry but if i can't drive over and knock on you door and slap you with a Dipstick Jimmy, you ain't gettin my tools...

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great idea. Perfect example is a deutsch crimping tool. I have a couple of projects I'd like to do that require one but I don't want to shell out the $250+ for a tool that I would probably never use again.

Quick Reply: Tool Rental Board...opinions?