Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Rental Board...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 AM
fastultra.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
NOT...Sorry but if i can't drive over and knock on you door and slap you with a Dipstick Jimmy, you ain't gettin my tools...
Yep I'm with you man!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:33 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

i like the idea but ya gotta be careful lots of scammers out there. i know from the guy's i use to work with one of the honda forums did this.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 AM
binkman78
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need two tools in life, Duct Tape & WD40. If it moves and shouldn't - use Duct Tape, if it doesn't move and should - use WD40.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
No, you're not thinking ahead.
I don't know how others would do it, but I wouldn't rent my tools for a penny less deposit of what the tool cost me.

I have 1 tool that retails over $700 dollars, I got it for dealer cost at $497.
If someone wanted to rent that tool...they'd have to do a $500 deposit plus $10 shipping. Rental fee would be $50 bucks. When I get the tool back, you'd get $450 of your deposit back if my tool was returned in the shape you got it. Ruin a part in the tool set...you'll be PM'd asking how you want to go about replacing it. You can either have me send the tool back and it be yours, or I could replace the part you broke out of your deposit...your choice.

I have no prob in letting anyone on this board use any of my specialty tools...but if you break the tool or any part of it...you own it.
That's why I'd require a deposit in the amount of the purchase price of the tool. If I never get the tool back, that's fine...I have your deposit to replace it.

It's called "CMA"...."Covering My ***"
Now that makes sense. I would be willing to help people out in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area will tools and help for a few bucks or a good lunch. I have an extensive set of tools and access to every specialty tool that was ever made for a harley!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 724 Likes on 271 Posts

Yeah, I could see this being more of a regional thing, loaning/borrowing stuff face to face, with a cash deposit. A listing of who has what tools available for loan & where they are; like a local library in a way. Heck, might even be a bit of a learning/teaching opportunity since the one loaning the tools has already done the job at least once.
I would be kinda hard pressed to send away my stuff in the mail; scams with fake bank checks, etc. pop to mind.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Harley Tech Talk board use to have a set of Twin Cam cam installation tools that they would rent out to members. I haven't tracked it recently, but that program went on successfully for several years. No reason why it wouldn't work here. Use Paypal for deposit and rental fees. It's a great idea.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking to rent/borrow a trock lapping tool for an evo if anyone knows about one, I hate to spend over 100 on a tool that I will only use once.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not interested. What tools I got will stay where they are at. And no, I dont wont to pay shipping, deposit, and have to wait on a rental tool.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Great idea. Perfect example is a deutsch crimping tool. I have a couple of projects I'd like to do that require one but I don't want to shell out the $250+ for a tool that I would probably never use again.
Here is a thread that may be of interest to you.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rimp-tool.html

Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a nice way for some Low Life to get Free Tools.
I say NO!!!

Quick Reply: Tool Rental Board...opinions?