Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for air horn that can be hidden

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbottles

+1 on the stebel.

I also separated the horn from the compressor. I swapped out the horns and put the compressor under the seat right side. Love it.
I did the same thing, but put the horn behind the cowbell. My best friend couldnt tell it was an airhorn until I hit the switch.

What someone really needs to work out is a way to get a small air reservoir (tank) and compressor hidden to get the really loud sound. I came across a guy on YouTube who put a setup into one of the saddlebags. Sucker was LOUD.
Wouldn't that require a compressor to run a while to get the tank filled up and then a solenoid to discharge into the horns? Seems like it would be more complicated than its worth.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 AM
TMM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could make a small reservoir from a piece of maybe 2" black iron pipe with caps on the end, drill and tap for
npt fittings to run air lines.

I got one of the Wolo Bad Boys on Amazon for right at $42. Mounted it in my wife's Miata, (it's horn is more useless than my Road King's). I mounted it using a relay. My
ears are still ringing from the first time I tested it...

Guess I'm ordering another one for the bike. I like the idea of seperating the compressor from the horn and installing the horn under the stock horn cover.

Last edited by TMM; 10-31-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
I did the same thing, but put the horn behind the cowbell. My best friend couldnt tell it was an airhorn until I hit the switch.
How much of the horn extends outside the cowbell? A pic would be great.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
There is already a write-up about them, but I will snap some pics a little later and post them. The only thing you can see are the fitting for the hose and some clear tubing. That will change with a little braided wrap though.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 AM
TMM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would need a pressure switch to keep the reservoir charged up, and not burn up the compressor. I built an on board air compressor for my jeep, and, though the size is a bit overkill for a bike, the parts needed don't really change, as far as switches and such. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/web-...oba_manual.pdf is a schematic of what I'm talking about.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I trimmed a bit of the horn with a Dremmel, you have to look very close to see the horn under the cow bell. I'll try to get a picture later today.

Jim

Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks guys. I look forward to the pics.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

On an earlier post someone fitted a Stebel out of sight behind one of his saddlebags. I tried that on my old bike, but there is not enough room, as they are bigger than they look in the photos! Must try dismantling it, if I can remember where I put it.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also used the Stebel, seperated with the horn under the cowbell and NOTHING sticks out. You cannot tell period. Go to this link, its what I used as a guide to install mine
http://twolaneroads.com/my-ride/harl...n-replacement/

Old 10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
There's really nothing new in the tankless airhorn world (Stebel, MiniBeast, Wolo, HD, Howards, Rivco, etc). What someone really needs to work out is a way to get a small air reservoir (tank) and compressor hidden to get the really loud sound. I came across a guy on YouTube who put a setup into one of the saddlebags. Sucker was LOUD.
on other makes of scoots ive seen guys drill the highway bars ,tap and thread, and user the bars for an air tank... they say it works great.

Quick Reply: Looking for air horn that can be hidden