Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you engage a motorcycle jack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you engage a motorcycle jack?

What is the best (safest) way of engaging a jack (see pic below) with a touring bike. Do you place the bike on the side stand and insert the jack from the right side and start lifting, with the motorcyle coming off the side stand and righting itself as you lift? Or should someone hold the bike upright while the jack is initially engaged? The former seems like it would work, but want to be sure...

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails How do you engage a motorcycle jack?-mjack.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Bike on the side stand works fine.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave it on the jiffy stand and insert the jack from the right (high) side. Start lifting and the bike will straighten up. Make sure the jack is sticking out a little on the left (low) side before you lift.

NOw that I have the shorter SG shocks my bike sets to low to stick the jack in while on the stand. I have to stand on the right and pull it towards me a little to get the jack in.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

With the bike on the jiffy stand I roll my jack under the bike and raise the jack a little until it contacts the frame. Then lift the bike so it is upright (just holding onto one grip from the jack side), check the jack is under both frame tubes and lift slowly. I always do it on my own, just taking things easy.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Skip
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally do it by myself coming in from the right side. I then reach over and grab the right grip as I am lifting the bike. But, you need to think about what you are going to be doing. If you are working on the right side, that jack may (will probably or always) be in the way. I have a Harbor Freight jack that looks like the one that you pictured. If you are coming in from the left side, it is best to have help.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice, All... Thankyou.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
rjcsnappy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find from the passanger side, i leave the bike on the stand, i hold the front brake on so the bike does not roll or move. i slide the jack under and let it stick out the other side about an inch. you have to jack it up slowly and find the spot that lifts it up even, then what i did was put a stripe on my jack and a small stripe on the lower frame rail of my bike so now i know where to lift it everytime. hope this will help

Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Excelent question I've wonder about this myself.

I've another question about jacking up a touring bike if the op dosen't mind.

Do the touring bikes require a adapter for the jack?

I remember when I was on the Dyna forum and the talk about the adapters that were required for using a jack.

TIA.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I have the wife straddle the front of the bike while she is wearing my favorite "Outfit" and of course after she hands me my favorite beverage....Then while she is holding it (The Bike) upright i slide it in and proceed to "pump it up"..... Don't Forget it is VERY IMPORTANT to LET HER DOWN SLOWWWWWWLY!!!!!....and of course be gentle, but that does *** with practice!!!!...Take your time...And if you do everything correct you will be one HAPPY

Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
I leave it on the jiffy stand and insert the jack from the right (high) side. Start lifting and the bike will straighten up. Make sure the jack is sticking out a little on the left (low) side before you lift.

NOw that I have the shorter SG shocks my bike sets to low to stick the jack in while on the stand. I have to stand on the right and pull it towards me a little to get the jack in.
If you put a pc of wood or a smashed alum can under the jiffy stand no need to pull to the right.

Quick Reply: How do you engage a motorcycle jack?